cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2008, 06:27 PM   #31
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
???
Rice was just an example of the type of team that BYU will schedule.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:29 PM   #32
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
Rice was just an example of the type of team that BYU will schedule.
Yeah that's probably true.

With 2 BCS teams already on the 09' and 10' schedules BYU will definetly schedule a mid to lower tier Non-BCS team.

Or a I-AA team for a 7 game home schedule.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:41 PM   #33
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I count UNM as a good team right now?
They were pretty good last year. They lost quite a bit of O, but they could be good again this year.

I think we need teams that are better than just 'good' in conference...

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:42 PM   #34
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Yeah that's probably true.

With 2 BCS teams already on the 09' and 10' schedules BYU will definetly schedule a mid to lower tier Non-BCS team.

Or a I-AA team for a 7 game home schedule.
I don't think they'll schedule a FCS team unless they can't find a taker in the non-bcs ranks.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Old 04-10-2008, 07:17 PM   #35
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYUTexan View Post
What the hell. I don't know about you guys but I feel that that number needs to be knocked way down. There are so many D1 calibre LDS players across the country that get overlooked or noticed at all by BYU. So whats the deal here? Texas, Florida and other football states are loaded with talent that gets overlooked, why not scour them before offering early to the locals? It's easy to stand out in Utah because the talent level is so thin here. That's all I got to say. WTF.
Two things:

1) You're an idiot.

2) You're assuming that LDS kids around the country have BYU at the top of their list of schools for which they want to play, which proves #1.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:35 PM   #36
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Two things:

1) You're an idiot.

2) You're assuming that LDS kids around the country have BYU at the top of their list of schools for which they want to play, which proves #1.
lol.

To be fair, #2 is true for many LDS kids around the country. Obviously it's not true for all of them. Unlike some of my more mullah-ish peers, I don't begrudge them their choice of schools.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:31 PM   #37
SipiTau

SipiTau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYUTexan View Post
I would just rather see a more balanced national distribution that doesn't favor any particular state, otherwise, my alma mater would then become just another Utah team.
I've always thought Utah had decent talent. The depth of talent isn't anywhere near that of Cali, Texas or Florida, but there are plenty of talented players in UT.

BYU has fared pretty well over the last 3 seasons while being "just another Utah team".
SipiTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:25 PM   #38
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
lol.

To be fair, #2 is true for many LDS kids around the country. Obviously it's not true for all of them. Unlike some of my more mullah-ish peers, I don't begrudge them their choice of schools.
I certainly agree that a lot of LDS kids outside of the Intermountain area want to play for BYU and I can understand why they would.

I just think it's humorous that even the most zoobish of BYU fans would think all LDS kids that play football want to be Cougars.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:12 PM   #39
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I certainly agree that a lot of LDS kids outside of the Intermountain area want to play for BYU and I can understand why they would.

I just think it's humorous that even the most zoobish of BYU fans would think all LDS kids that play football want to be Cougars.
No disagreement here. It bothers me to no end when BYU fans call a kid's character into question just because they decide to go elsewhere.