cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2015, 12:22 PM   #1
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 34 Known White Supremacists on Cougarboard

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=14880893
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:58 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I read the NYT article about this controversy. So there was 2 incidents of a verbal slur (so could have been just 2 people total involved in slurring). And then the fecal swastika.

I expected a little bit more meat on that bone. Not saying that it shouldn't be systematically addressed.

But could you imagine the average high school, how many have had 2 racial slurs uttered?

I guess this gets to how one can tell if a culture is broken.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:06 PM   #3
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I read the NYT article about this controversy. So there was 2 incidents of a verbal slur (so could have been just 2 people total involved in slurring). And then the fecal swastika.

I expected a little bit more meat on that bone. Not saying that it shouldn't be systematically addressed.

But could you imagine the average high school, how many have had 2 racial slurs uttered?

I guess this gets to how one can tell if a culture is broken.
Missouri racial culture is totally broken. You have to look at this in the context of where this is taking place. I think Missouri is even worse than most states in the deep south are when it comes to racism and racial relations. My brother's wife grew up in the St. Louis area pretty close to Ferguson, Missouri. According to them, it's really bad there. The recent racist incidents the students are angry about are unfortunately pretty commonplace in that state. People in cars driving by and screaming racial epithets to random black citizens just walking down the street in a mostly white part of town happen a lot there. My brother has even seen it. Remember the former St. Louis Cardinals player who got beat up at a gas station a few months ago by a white supremacist for doing nothing except happening to be in a certain part of town? Also, the St. Louis suburbs are notorious for the phenomenon once called "white flight." You could have a middle class neighborhood that is mostly white. Then a few black families move in and suddenly within a very short time all the white families choose to move out. That's exactly what happened in Ferguson. That's the context the black students at the U. of Missouri are coming from. While some of their actions may appear to be overreacting, at the same time, I don't know that I can just easily dismiss it like your garden variety cougarboard poster who grew up in Utah and who has never lived among people of other races might.

In other words, I don't think this is just a reaction to a few recent incidents on campus.

Last edited by BlueK; 11-09-2015 at 04:22 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:51 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The NYT article didn't paint that picture. I'm not informed on the topic.

Last edited by MikeWaters; 11-09-2015 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:53 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

This is cougarboard's post of the day. With 76 nominations.

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=14884255

Quote:
Fellas, I've never wanted to see BYU kick the crap out of an opponent... 76 79 1
(posted from a mobile device)
quite as much as I want to see it this weekend. I don't know who was right or wrong in the Missouri issue. However, I definitely do not like tantrums being rewarded without time for cooler heads to prevail and vet both sides' views.

So there really isn't much impact a BYU victory has on this particular issue or debate but it would make me feel better to at least know that a few of those acting out would have a ruined weekend. The precedent set over the last few days is truly scary. I just hope their time to high five is short lived and BYU kicks the crap out of them... take some steam out of their heads.
It certainly have a feel of "I'm rooting for BYU to beat the tar out of those uppity Missouri players."

The optics are not good here for football fans in Utah.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:52 PM   #6
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe it hasn't made wind in your neck of the woods yet, but there are petitions for the NCAA to ban BYU athletics, over the gay issue.

In the meantime, perhaps others will adopt a similar mindset to "beat the tar out of BYU players."
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:54 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Maybe it hasn't made wind in your neck of the woods yet, but there are petitions for the NCAA to ban BYU athletics, over the gay issue.

In the meantime, perhaps others will adopt a similar mindset to "beat the tar out of BYU players."
That must put you in an odd position, to root for the demise of BYU, given your ultra LDS conservative leanings.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:33 AM   #8
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
This is cougarboard's post of the day. With 76 nominations.

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=14884255

It certainly have a feel of "I'm rooting for BYU to beat the tar out of those uppity Missouri players."

The optics are not good here for football fans in Utah.
That's more of a pro-authority at any cost post than a racist post, IMO.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:32 PM   #9
ChinoCoug

I just got a week-long ban.

You were given a board penalty on 11/10/15 10:30am by El Jefe for a board rules violation related to this post
Rule Category: Attack (See rules)

Description: "It's touching to see African Americans athletes finally able to leverage their influence to realize their desired outcomes. If you don't like that, go ahead and pay money to watch slow and deceptively fast athletes."

Additional Comments: Racist remarks are not tolerated on CougarBoard.
You have been given a 7-day penalty. You will not be able to post messages, send boardmails, or use chat or IM until this penalty period is over.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:34 PM   #10
ChinoCoug

Anyhow, the article that inspired my post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/rweb/...pisrc=nl_draw2