cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2006, 11:55 PM   #1
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Saw something hilarious on The Colbert Report...

A couple of nights ago Steven Colbert had Robert F. Kennedy Jr. on as a guest, and they were talking about an article Kennedy had written in Rolling Stone about how Bush stole the 2004 election. At one point in the interview Colbert asks Kennedy, "So which was more difficult, Bush stealing the Ohio vote in 2004 or your uncle stealing the Illinois vote in 1960?" There was an awkward pause, followed by Kennedy's defense that while John F. Kennedy had indeed stolen the Illinois vote in 1960, it didn't directly effect the outcome of the election. I'm not sure which was more funny, Colbert asking the question or Kennedy answering it.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan

Last edited by non sequitur; 06-15-2006 at 12:15 AM.
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:01 AM   #2
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
A couple of nights ago Steven Colbert had Robert F. Kennedy Jr. on as a guest, and they were talking about an article Kennedy had written in Rolling Stone about how Bush stole the 2004 election. At one point in the interview Colbert asks Kennedy, "So which was more difficult, Bush stealing the Florida vote in 2004 or your uncle stealing the Illinois vote in 1960?" There was an awkward pause, followed by Kennedy's defense that while John F. Kennedy had indeed stolen the Illinois vote in 1960, it didn't directly effect the outcome of the election. I'm not sure which was more funny, Colbert asking the question or Kennedy answering it.
You can see video of the interview here:

http://www.onegoodmove.org/1gm/

You will have to scroll down.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:52 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

That's funny. Watching RFK Junior trying to justify his uncle stealing Illinois was great.

Colbert is awesome because he sticks it to both sides.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:37 AM   #4
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

There is nothing better than "Better know a district."

http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/t...ct/index.jhtml

His latest interview with the representative from Georgia's 8th is hilarious- especially when he asks him to list the Ten Commandments.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:19 AM   #5
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't name the ten commandments off the top of my head either. I read a thing on Slate that said that there are really something like 16 commandments that can be condensed down to 7 or something. That is why I want to fight for legislation that will display the 7 deadly sins in the Capitol because they are way easier to remember. WHile we're at it we should add the 7 dwarves just because.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 12:43 PM   #6
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
That's funny. Watching RFK Junior trying to justify his uncle stealing Illinois was great.

Colbert is awesome because he sticks it to both sides.
Colbert is hilarious, although I think his satire cuts at the right far more than it does the left. His mimicry of some rightwing commentators' rat-a-tat interview tactics is spot on. Even funnier is when folks from the left, knowing it is all a joke, still stumble with their answers. It's a given that some Southern congressman advocating public display of the 10 Commandments is not the sharpest knife in the drawer and easily mocked, making great comedic theatre. But funnier, I think, is the liberal author of some treatise linking Abu Ghraib directly to Bush, staring blankly as Colbert verbally dances all over him. One would have thought they'd heard all of this before and been better prepared.

How he keeps a straight face, I'll never know. What happened to Colbert's ear, anyway?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:44 PM   #7
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad
I can't name the ten commandments off the top of my head either. I read a thing on Slate that said that there are really something like 16 commandments that can be condensed down to 7 or something. That is why I want to fight for legislation that will display the 7 deadly sins in the Capitol because they are way easier to remember. WHile we're at it we should add the 7 dwarves just because.

There is a tremendous amount of irony in a congressman saying we need to post the Ten Commandments as a moral compass when that congressman is incapable of listing more than three commandments!

Also hilarious is when he asks the congressman if he is the "do nothingest congressman" in the do nothing Congress.

The guy actually responds that there is another do nothingest congressman (which seems to indicate he accepts the premise that he, too, is a do nothingest congressman).

So very funny.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:16 AM   #8
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug
There is a tremendous amount of irony in a congressman saying we need to post the Ten Commandments as a moral compass when that congressman is incapable of listing more than three commandments!

Also hilarious is when he asks the congressman if he is the "do nothingest congressman" in the do nothing Congress.

The guy actually responds that there is another do nothingest congressman (which seems to indicate he accepts the premise that he, too, is a do nothingest congressman).

So very funny.
LOL. It's almost just as funny reading a summary of the interview as it was watching the actual event. How does he get these people to come on his show? Are they totally unaware that his intent is to make them look like dimwits?

Yes, very funny.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 02:36 PM   #9
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah
LOL. It's almost just as funny reading a summary of the interview as it was watching the actual event. How does he get these people to come on his show? Are they totally unaware that his intent is to make them look like dimwits?

Yes, very funny.
I keep wondering the same thing! My guess is that about half have no idea he is a comedian and not a real news host. They wind up scratching their heads when the interview is over. The other half know it he is a comedian and think they can keep up with him and come of looking cool. They wind up cussing out their staffers for allowing them to actually try to keep up with Colbert because now they look like morons.

Either way, it is the funniest segment on all of television.