cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2008, 03:35 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Camille Paglia, finally, speaks out on Palin

http://www.salon.com/opinion/paglia/...lin/index.html

Whom she hails as the most important happening in feminism since Madonna (that's not a joke, she does think Madonna was hugely important in combating the dowdy frumpy feminism of the 80s and later).

But more interesting was her thoughts on abortion and the future of the abortion issue with feminism (page 4).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:42 AM   #2
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Pow! Wham! The Republicans unleashed a doozy -- one of the most stunning surprises that I have ever witnessed in my adult life.
She's been reading Cougarguard.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:43 AM   #3
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
http://www.salon.com/opinion/paglia/...lin/index.html

Whom she hails as the most important happening in feminism since Madonna (that's not a joke, she does think Madonna was hugely important in combating the dowdy frumpy feminism of the 80s and later).

But more interesting was her thoughts on abortion and the future of the abortion issue with feminism (page 4).
I just finished reading it. I too found her consistent logic on abortion and the death penalty fascinating.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:24 AM   #4
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Reading this prompted me to watch several youtube videos of her from the early '90s. What a motormouth. It was interesting, I could take snippets from several of the recorded interviews and reconstruct her points in this column: she's been saying the same thing for years, on Madonna, on Annie Oakley, on abortion, and on the death penalty. Only difference is she's praising Palin instead of Annie Oakley. She's long preferred the hardscrabble, blistered frontierwomen over the stretch-faced Gloria Steinems. And it's hard to resist her wonderful line of realism, even if she's been saying it for years: why save the guilty but murder the innocent? Has there ever been a more succinct reality check for those who decry the death penalty, but put Planned Parenthood in their will?

I highly support Paglia's #1 goal: to destroy the ruthlessly enforced dogmatism of higher education. She's the Clarence Thomas of feminists: refusing to accept the orthodoxy of her perceived social group.

I'm guessing Waters adores her.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:43 AM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Fascinating. Thanks for posting.