cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2008, 06:25 PM   #1
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick
Default How does one get into camping?

I wasn't a scouter. My folks never took us camping as kids. I think I went to 2 Father and Son campouts. (Never with my own dad though, he didn't want to go)

I have taken my girls (16 and 10) out 1 time on a campout. Oldest thought it was okay, youngest thought it was the coolest thing.

I am fat, not going to deny that, and I think that is part of why I don't like it. Camping just isn't comfortable to me.

But my youngest really wants to do a bunch of camping this summer fall. I fly fish and she has started doing some of it with me and would like to make some trips out of it.

What would you do to start? I have the tent, sleeping bags, air matresses, stoves and lanterns. I even own a dutch oven just don't know how to use it.

Advice?
Old 06-09-2008, 06:30 PM   #2
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
I wasn't a scouter. My folks never took us camping as kids. I think I went to 2 Father and Son campouts. (Never with my own dad though, he didn't want to go)

I have taken my girls (16 and 10) out 1 time on a campout. Oldest thought it was okay, youngest thought it was the coolest thing.

I am fat, not going to deny that, and I think that is part of why I don't like it. Camping just isn't comfortable to me.

But my youngest really wants to do a bunch of camping this summer fall. I fly fish and she has started doing some of it with me and would like to make some trips out of it.

What would you do to start? I have the tent, sleeping bags, air matresses, stoves and lanterns. I even own a dutch oven just don't know how to use it.

Advice?
Make a reservation, or pick dates, and just go. Make it happen.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

air mattress with sheets and blanket.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

See if you can go along with someone else that is experienced in the sort of cmaping you want to do (e.g. car-camping as opposed to backpacking, etc.). Prepare as if you will be alone but rely on the more experienced person for on-site adivce and know that if you forget somethign they will probabyl have it. DO this once or twice and then you will know what else you need and how to prepare for it.

If you absolutely can't find someone to learn from, Do what BDB says: Go on one or two one-nighters and you'll figure out what you need PDQ.

Last edited by creekster; 06-09-2008 at 06:50 PM.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:36 PM   #5
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

If you weren't raised with it it's very difficult to do.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:00 PM   #6
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Very much depends on the style of camping, and where you go.

Bring plenty of extra clothing & warm gear (it gets cold in higher elevations at night).
Make sure you bring extra fuel for the lanterns/stoves.
Bring something to pass the time after dark. I love playing cards when I go camping with my family, but it can get pretty boring after the sun goes down if you're stuck talking to your daughter about what boys she likes...

Put a tarp under your tent. Pick a flat spot, limit the rocks you'll be sleeping on, and sleep with your head above your feet.

If it's going to get wet, dig a little trench around your tent to divert any potential water runoff.

Contrary to what SU claims, camping is exceptionally easy regardless of how many times you've done it.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:33 PM   #7
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Very much depends on the style of camping, and where you go.

Bring plenty of extra clothing & warm gear (it gets cold in higher elevations at night).
Make sure you bring extra fuel for the lanterns/stoves.
Bring something to pass the time after dark. I love playing cards when I go camping with my family, but it can get pretty boring after the sun goes down if you're stuck talking to your daughter about what boys she likes...

Put a tarp under your tent. Pick a flat spot, limit the rocks you'll be sleeping on, and sleep with your head above your feet.

If it's going to get wet, dig a little trench around your tent to divert any potential water runoff.

Contrary to what SU claims, camping is exceptionally easy regardless of how many times you've done it.
It's true, camping really isn't hard. People make it sound a lot more complex than it really is. If you have all the right equipment, and it sounds like you do, it shouldn't be a big deal, just make sure you bring utensils and a can opener. Those are the things I always forget.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:40 PM   #8
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Buy the right equipment, do whatever it takes to stay dry and double up on the NyQuil right before bed.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:15 PM   #9
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Do a trial run in your backyard. Then you're not stuck if you forget something, don't know how to put up your tent, etc.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:24 PM   #10
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Start off by camping close to a town where you can make a run to the local store for the things you forgot. Keep a list of everything you pack & the things you forgot, so you'll have a permanent checklist of what you need.

I don't recommend camping in your back yard - the neighbors will begin to wonder what sort of marital problems are prompting that....

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote