cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2008, 02:20 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default YM/BSA in my ward now without any budget

for the rest of the year. All used up to subsidize summer camp.

Even though the ward paid for my scout camp fee, I'm probably going to be out over $200 paying for gas and other campers fees that couldn't afford to go. It might reach $300. Not to mention the value of a week's vacation.

Where is the money going to come from for the rest of BSA activities in the year? Mostly out of my pocket.

I'm going to charge parents for their kids merit badges. Pay in advance. No $, no merit badges.

They are going to miss me when I move away. Which will hopefully be in a couple months.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:20 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The problem with YM leaders footing the bill for most everything (which we have done), is that the next person who gets put in that position, and can't afford it, is in for a real shock, and is in an unfair situation.

He gets made out to the be the bad guy.

Like I've said before, women in the church are never guilted out of filing a reimbursement. But men are. What I do like about not having any budget is that there is no longer a dilemma about filling out a reimbursement. You can't. But this would never happen in RS or YW. There would be an implosion.

The solution here is that parents are going to have to step up and stop skating. I have one set of parents I consider supportive of the program. The rest haven't really done anything. And that's my fault, as I have not insisted on it.

The ironic thing, as always, is that just when I get the hang of things and figure out what I am doing, I will be out of the calling.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:41 AM   #3
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

Even though the ward paid for my scout camp fee, I'm probably going to be out over $200 paying for gas and other campers fees that couldn't afford to go. It might reach $300. Not to mention the value of a week's vacation.

Where is the money going to come from for the rest of BSA activities in the year? Mostly out of my pocket.

I'm going to charge parents for their kids merit badges. Pay in advance. No $, no merit badges.

They are going to miss me when I move away. Which will hopefully be in a couple months.
Where are you going?
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:46 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

moving houses. to a better school district.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:02 AM   #5
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
moving houses. to a better school district.
I hadn't heard. Hope it all goes well. Richardson ISD?
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:01 AM   #6
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Why don't you insist that the ward/stake reimburse you for the Gas and Camper's fee? Instead of making the parents pay make the church pay. Have a frank conversation with your bishop on why you need these dollars. Come to a yearly amount that you feel is neccessary to run the troop (probably 1k). If he refuses then you should refuse to do anything. Either that or you can discount your tithing for your expenses. If they ever refused to reimburse me I would do option 2 in a second and not think twice. Of course when I was in YM they reimbursed me for my gas and all things associated with campouts.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:24 AM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I've never been reimbursed for gas in 2+ years.

I was supposed to be reimbursed for this summer camp, but I believe there will be a shortfall, and I am on record as saying that the full gas reimbursement be applied to the other driver, even if I get nothing.

No matter, I am probably in the top 5% of my ward in terms of income. This too shall pass.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:28 AM   #8
Mormon Red Death

Quote:
I've never been reimbursed for gas in 2+ years.

I was supposed to be reimbursed for this summer camp, but I believe there will be a shortfall, and I am on record as saying that the full gas reimbursement be applied to the other driver, even if I get nothing.

No matter, I am probably in the top 5% of my ward in terms of income. This too shall pass.
Why not just take it out of your tithing?
Old 06-25-2008, 03:32 AM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
Why not just take it out of your tithing?
the argument against this would be that I have no right to tell the Lord how to spend his money.

The argument for it is that it effectively increases the ward's budget, and is spent in your stewardship.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:35 AM   #10
Mormon Red Death

Quote:
the argument against this would be that I have no right to tell the Lord how to spend his money.

The argument for it is that it effectively increases the ward's budget, and is spent in your stewardship.
There is a slippery slope here sure but members should not have to foot the bill for church programs they are called to run. Give the bishop a choice. He either reimburses you or you take it out of your tithing.