cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Lake Powell
Not too fun for me, to each his own. 7 21.88%
Yuck! 0 0%
I love it. 19 59.38%
Blow up that dam. 6 18.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2008, 03:59 PM   #31
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm, sounds like FM is going to have to do this Powell vacation by himself with his family if he is going to have any credibility in Utah.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:00 PM   #32
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Going around the lake in a sailboat sounds cheaper and more my style.

The sound of big fat gas engines buzzing around, I might as well join a lawn crew.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:05 PM   #33
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Going around the lake in a sailboat sounds cheaper and more my style.

The sound of big fat gas engines buzzing around, I might as well join a lawn crew.
It is actually a lot of fun and everyone enjoys themselves.

even if you are not inclined for skiing, everyone can lay on the tube and get thrashed around.

The best thing about Powell is getting up and hitting the water by 6AM. It is already warm, the water is glass, and it you can ride for miles.

You seem to enjoy sports, you would enjoy either waterskiing or wakeboarding (although I have never tried the latter, but it looks fun).

The other cool thing about going down to Powell in groups is that you can see some of the better looking moms' boobs all day.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:01 PM   #34
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
If you do it right, you bring your stereo with home speakers, video games, movies, a full BBQ, etc...
The last time we went, my BIL brought his DVD projector and we projected onto the side of the cliff. The kids thought it was the best thing ever to sit on top of the houseboat and watch a movie on the side of the rock.

It's also fun to take a kayak down there. You can get into smaller places on the lake.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:34 AM   #35
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Lake Powell is a thing of beauty. One of the best vacation spots in the world. It can be a pricey vacation but like DDD and Sizzle have said usually you go down with other families. We take down a ski boat, jet skis, and plenty of wakeboards, tubes, waterskis, etc. We try to make it down at least once a year and it is always fun.

In fact we are planning a trip down in the middle of August on my friends, father in laws houseboat. He is one of the rare people that actually owns his houseboat outright. No timeshare, he paid a cool 550k for it.

Also Britney Spears filmed her video I'm not a girl, but still not yet a woman music video down there.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:34 AM   #36
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
So before any food, you have to pay about $8-13K for the week....just to get into the water.
I have three friends who split a timeshare on a houseboat. I don't know what they pay, but they get the boat one week out of the year, and have to contribute to maintenance and winter parking.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:38 AM   #37
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Memorial Day is quite a scene in Lake Powell. Houseboats with naughty girls abound. One year my buddy grabbed the knockers of a girl who was dancing topless on the upper deck. When he told his SP about it in his mission interview, the SP started laughing.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:45 AM   #38
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Memorial Day is quite a scene in Lake Powell. Houseboats with naughty girls abound. One year my buddy grabbed the knockers of a girl who was dancing topless on the upper deck. When he told his SP about it in his mission interview, the SP started laughing.
The SP started laughing and said, "It cracks me up that you think you are going on a mission."

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:41 PM   #39
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
We went to Lake Havasu for Spring Break our Sr. Year of highschool. Let me just say that this was the norm. I never thought you get sick of boobs and trust me I didnt but after a while the nostalgia wore off.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:33 AM   #40
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

I heard gas on the lake is encroaching $6.50.

My parents typically take two jaunts down to Powell per year. I was doing the math with my dad for gas prices for a 5 day excursion and we estimated about 1k to tow boat, play around and return.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote