cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 04:13 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My lukewarm SPL

who is 12, about to be 13, decided not to go on our next campout because he doesn't feel like it.

This irritated me quite a bit.

I've been debating whether I should read to him the "scout spirit" clause of advancement.

But I have since calmed down a bit. And realize he's just part of the new generation in the church that considers YM and Scouting optional. YM and Scouting leaders should beg and cajole him and his parents to fully participate. And we should chalk up to our own failure for not running a good enough program.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
who is 12, about to be 13, decided not to go on our next campout because he doesn't feel like it.

This irritated me quite a bit.

I've been debating whether I should read to him the "scout spirit" clause of advancement.

But I have since calmed down a bit. And realize he's just part of the new generation in the church that considers YM and Scouting optional. YM and Scouting leaders should beg and cajole him and his parents to fully participate. And we should chalk up to our own failure for not running a good enough program.
I think when your kids get older you'll get a different perspective on this.

Our kids have a lot of things (good things) pulling them in different directions. School, sports, dance, choir, debate, jobs, chores, church, scouts.

My son next month is faced with the following:

football practice 2 hours a day four nights a week
soccer practice 2 hours, twice a week
basketball 1 hour, twice a week
scout camp knocks out an entire week with all the sports coaches complaining
school starting with homework demands
lawn mowing side business
chores at home

This is a lot for a 12 year old. Really it's too much. I run interference with scout leaders, church leaders, and coaches for him when he has to miss stuff.

The only non-optional as far as I'm concerned as a parent is schoolwork.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote