cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 08:33 PM   #1
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Let me start with the story of a head transplant gone awry..

Well, isn't this exciting? After checking out the 'Guard a while, I was converted by the opportunity to participate in a "Book of the Bi-month Club" and by the urge to more frequently discuss my "taint" or the "taint" of anyone else on here. Now, I stop lurking and step confidently into the open air of a chat room in which I have met two people and play the intro game.

You may know me from such message boards as "CougarBoard," "Baseball Primer" and "ILiveOnWysteriaLane.com." The whole idea of this board is pretty interesting to me -- it's seems like CougarBoard Bizarro World. As such, I considered changing my name to "El Tucano" or some band name, just to slightly alter my ego. But since the transplant, my short-term memory is a little deficient and my moniker-recognition lobe is damaged.

I just finished my MBA at a university in the northwest that I am now realizing has a horrible career services department. I don't ride but it's on my list of things I'd like to start doing, since I need to find some way to stay in shape and running bores me.

I'm originally from North Carolina and spent my formative years there. Then at age 5, we moved to.... So I grew up in the Gold Leaf Tobacco capital of the world and I'm a huge Carolina fan. Also, growing up on a steady diet from the Turner Broadcasting System, I'm a long-time Braves fan. And let's not forget the Cowboys. Back in the day, everyone in that area was either a Cowboys fan or a Redskins fan. I always stick with America's Teams. I still don't understand how anyone there now can honestly cheer for a teal team.

BYU grad in Broadcast Journalism -- hmmmm, that really came in handy. Did the storybook thing: met an awesome girl in my BYU ward, you know the rest. Late 20s, just had a kid. We call her Maybe, after the character on Arrested Development.

When I grow up I want to be... Dog the Bounty Hunter.
Dream job... television writer.
Favorite Mexican food and drink... Chile Relleno and horchata -- but nothing beats Mexican Coke in a bottle.
Most entertaining author... Vonnegut.
Favorite word combination... "soft underbelly"
Little-known talent... yet to be discovered.

That's pretty much some of me in a nutshell.

(taint!)
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:17 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I love horchata.

that's why I go to Diego's near downtown Provo, when I'm in the area (which isn't often).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:43 AM   #3
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Good to see another Vonnegut fan on the board. Some days I wish I would have used the moniker Kilgore Trout.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 01:42 PM   #4
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I meant to mention the vonnegut

reference; when I was a DJ in a life long ago I used the air name of Eliot Rosewater. If you remember that character you are truly a Vonnegut fan.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 02:01 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default the only Vonnegut stuff I read

just showed how often he could say F... this and that.

I understand the need for realism, but literature should be above the basest forms of expression.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:49 PM   #6
mpfunk

Yes I'm aware of Elliott Rosewater.

As far as what Vonnegot I would recommend to read that is more than proving he can use the f word. I suggest Slaughterhouse 5 and Breakfast of Champions. Probably best to read in that order.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:28 PM   #7
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

The last one I read was Mother Night and I put that on par with Slaughterhouse V.
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 10:07 PM   #8
mpfunk

I liked Mother Night but not as much as Slaughterhouse 5. I actually think my favorite books of his is Breakfast of Champions although I'm not sure it is a good book for a first time Vonnegut reader. In fact Breakfast of Champions is right there with Catch-22 as my favorite book of all time.

Another Vonnegut book that gets a little passed over is Timequake. I think it is one that if you have read maybe 4 or 5 Vonnegut books it turns out to be a really good book.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:17 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default that is the one I couldn't finish

as he was trying to impress me with his use of profanity.

I don't mind profanity and the word mindf... has unique descriptive powers, but that one just didn't do it for me.