cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2007, 12:43 AM   #1
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve
Default O Christmas Tree! O Christmas Tree! Thy leaves are so unchanging.

The age old question: how to buy a tree early enough to enjoy the scents and sights for the month of December.....without having it shrivel up and die, becoming a dried out pile of kindling in the process.

I have always been a "real tree" guy, although I make no judgments of my faux-tannenbaum brethren. Unfortunately, our trees would always dry out and even start turning brown within a few weeks. As a result, we would either have to wait until mid-December to get our tree, or buy it in early December but watch it die before Christmas day in a pool of stagnant water.

After several years of failure to moderate success, I think I have found a formula that works for me in helping extend the life of our tree. I would be interested in hearing other tips for success, if anyone has them.

Basically, I only do 3 things, but my trees always live through the month without drying and almost never without loss of color.

First, it starts with the stand. I abandoned the "spike in the middle" approach and got one of those "vise around the diameter of the trunk" styles. I found that the spike somehow inhibited the tree from drinking the water. I really have no way of proving that to be true, but it works for me, so leave me alone.

Second, we find out when the trucks are delivering the latest trees and get there when the trucks are unloading. In SoCal, it isnt terribly easy to hike to the nearby forest and cut down your own tree, so you are relegated to the Home Depots, Targets, and Lowe's of the world. These big box retailers get trees in frequently throughout the month. Be there when a shipment arrives. You will be amazed at the quality difference between those that have been cut recently and those that have been sitting around for days or even a week or more.

The third step has made the biggest difference for us. When you buy your tree and they trim it up and wrap it in that plastic netting, they give you the option of cutting off a bit from the trunk. Most people say yes. I used to, as well. Then, we would get home, casually go inside, unload the tree, eat, talk, get the tree stuff out, etc...Finally, about an hour or more later, we would get around to putting the tree in water. That same water would go un-absorbed for the entire month of December. The tree would shrivel up and die.

One year, for whatever reason, I decided to decline the free trunk chop. We took the tree home. I used a handsaw and cut off about an inch or two from the trunk. I also used a drill to drill a series of holes into the bottom of the trunk----not to place the trunk on some medieval spike, but rather so that the trunk could absorb water. I acted pretty quickly, before any sap or anything else could drip down or otherwise clog the pores of the trunk. The whole process of drilling and cutting took about 5 mins, max. I quickly put the tree in the stand. I then filled the entire tree stand with water and went to bed (note: my strategy works even if you don't go to bed. For example, you can watch TV or eat and it will still work).

Lo and behold, every year when I wake up, my tree has absorbed about half of the water ration (sometimes more, sometimes a little less). I wind up having to replenish the water about every 3 days for the entire month of December. And the tree usually does just fine...long enough for us to dump it in some bin somewhere.

We went and purchased our tree this past Wednesday. I used my standard method. Today, I replenished water in the stand for the second time (once Wednesday, once today).

Does anyone else have any strategies they use? Do those powders work--the ones you get when you buy the tree? I haven't been able to detect much difference. Does your tree drink water all month even if you cut the trunk at the store? For whatever reason, it would never work for us until we started cutting the trunk at home.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:15 AM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

My roommate has a fake tree. He boils pine needles in the kitchen every few days to add a fresh tree scent.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:42 AM   #3
Filsdepac

Filsdepac is on a distinguished road

Here was a discussion on the issue last year. Cowboy gave a good 'to do' list.

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2348561
Filsdepac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:55 AM   #4
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filsdepac View Post
Here was a discussion on the issue last year. Cowboy gave a good 'to do' list.

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2348561
The only thing is, nobody focuses on the timing of cutting the trunk. The people at the store offer to cut off part of the trunk for you, but by the time you get home it is too late. My experience has been that you need to put it in water within minutes of cutting the trunk, or else it doesnt work.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 12-10-2007, 05:10 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

We have a fake tree at our house.

Of course, if I had the choice, I wouldn't even have a tree. Or lights. Or any other decorations.

This is my least favorite of the holidays. It's not so much that I'm a grinch, but that I despise the fact that the real reason we celebrate this time of year has all but disappeared.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:13 AM   #6
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
We have a fake tree at our house.

Of course, if I had the choice, I wouldn't even have a tree. Or lights. Or any other decorations.

This is my least favorite of the holidays. It's not so much that I'm a grinch, but that I despise the fact that the real reason we celebrate this time of year has all but disappeared.
This has little to do with your post, but when I read your words, all of a sudden I remembered that Phoebe Cates's character in Gremlins also didnt like Christmas.

Phoebe Cates uses up a lot of my RAM. She is always running in the background...

Old 12-10-2007, 05:19 AM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
This has little to do with your post, but when I read your words, all of a sudden I remembered that Phoebe Cates's character in Gremlins also didnt like Christmas.

Phoebe Cates uses up a lot of my RAM. She is always running in the background...
Which brings us back to the pool scene in Fast Times.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:21 AM   #8
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Which brings us back to the pool scene in Fast Times.
Back? I never left....

*ram depleting as image cache loads*

Old 12-10-2007, 05:25 AM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Back? I never left....

*ram depleting as image cache loads*
I see.

Does MMM know about this?

Does Phoebe know you're her #1 stalke.....fan?

Old 12-10-2007, 05:33 AM   #10
TripletDaddy

Quote:
I see.

Does MMM know about this?

Does Phoebe know you're her #1 stalke.....fan?
NO to both.

Shhh....

Gremlins....Fast Times....Private School....Lace (made for TV movie).....rowrr!