cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2008, 04:00 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Take your children to a cemetary

I like to take my kids to cemetaries. They are catalysts for such wonderful discussions. For example, we have a small military cemetary close to our house, surrounded by woods and the sea. We have walked through it from time to time in their different stages of development, and I have noticed how they approach the place with wonderfully appropriate reverence (my kids tend to be hell raisers). They are always eager to go there.

Last time I was there with the 7 year old we talked about the symbolism of the cross, the various wars, mathematics (as he puzzled through the dates), and of course death and the cosmos. There are graves of an Italian POW and a German POW who died at the nearby base (now mostly state park, and closing, about to be wound up). The Italian was lynched in a locally infamous event, and we have discussed that, including that WWII was a lot about our enemies torturing and killing their POW's and Americans treating them decently, this being one of the exceptions. Hence, the Italian has the biggest headstone of all, as we honor his martyrdom.

There is a large cemetary on Capital Hill (Seattle) that seems to be a favored resting place for wealthy immigrants and their descendants. It is teeming with buddist shrines, Russian Orthodox crosses, and so on. There are graves dating back to the mid-19th century, and Confederate and Union civil war veterans interred. There are actually family mausoleums with Classical motifs and huge monuments for individual graves. I like to take them there in the summers.

Try it sometime. It's a nice contrast to Chuck-E-Cheeze's.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 01-11-2008 at 04:08 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:06 PM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

My kids hold their breath when we drive by a cemetary.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Good place to teach them that this life is all there is, and when you die, that is finis.

Good work.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:11 PM   #4
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Good place to teach them that this life is all there is, and when you die, that is finis.

Good work.
Good place to teach them not to fear death. I don't think fearing death is a very productive sentiment.

—Paul Auster
Old 01-11-2008, 04:20 PM   #5
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

You should write a book on free things to do with kids. Going to landfills might also be a worthy outing.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:22 PM   #6
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
You should write a book on free things to do with kids. Going to landfills might also be a worthy outing.

Bean Museum
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:26 PM   #7
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I play that Disney World Haunted Mansion theme song every time we pass a cemetery. MP3 players are cool.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:28 PM   #8
SeattleUte

Quote:
If you don't think putting on a moon suit and going to a land fill for a few hours would be fascinating I feel sorry for you. You might learn more there about your culture than on CNN. The rats alone would mesmerize (if you had the right weapon to keep them at a safe distance).

—Paul Auster
Old 01-11-2008, 04:36 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

"Kids, do you think any of these people, when on their deathbeds, lamented that they had too much sex with too many people? No way."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:36 PM   #10
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Speaking of free... In case you didn't know the Memphis Zoo is free on Tuesday afternoons, as are the Lichterman, Pink Palace and the Botanic Gardens. The Civil Rights Museum is free on Monday afternoons. I miss Memphis.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote