cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2009, 05:20 PM   #11
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
oh yeah, forgot. anti-Mormon media will just cherry pick the miracles Ballard cited, and choose the one that makes him look like, what did you say, a witch doctor? Surely there are more appealing miracles Elder Ballard cited they could have chosen.
I didn't think the piece was anti-Mormon at all. But that particular story was poorly edited.

Quote:
These two, btw, look very corporate, very severe, and very cocky. Making it rain. Defeating Prop 8. And very white.
The typically cookie-cutter complaint of a Self Loathing Mormon.

Quote:
I dare say GBH, with his folksy humor, is sorely missed in situations like this. GBH could make a rabbi laugh at a concentration camp joke (not that he would tell one).
I agree that President Hinckley had a media gift rare even for prophets.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:26 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
The typically cookie-cutter complaint of a Self Loathing Mormon.
Typically in the American Christian world, a person who is at the highest levels is often one with a gift of communication or scholarship.

Such is not always going to be the case in LDS church.

Thus it should not be surprising if media performances are poor, both in style and substance.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Also look at who Joseph Smith picked as apostles. The factors involved in getting an organization are very different than ones involved in maintaining a course.

JS probably weighed leadership skills, dynamic personalities, charisma. And ended up with a lot of people who went off the reservation.

Whereas in 2009, I'm betting factors such as reliability, loyalty, and quiet competence are more highly valued. An apostle going off the reservation would be considered a complete disaster.

The revolution is over. The truth has arrived, and merely needs caretaking and competent dissemination. Such are the dynamics of the church.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:57 PM   #14
Tex

Quote:
Typically in the American Christian world, a person who is at the highest levels is often one with a gift of communication or scholarship.

Such is not always going to be the case in LDS church.

Thus it should not be surprising if media performances are poor, both in style and substance.
I didn't think the "performance" was poor.

Quote:
Also look at who Joseph Smith picked as apostles. The factors involved in getting an organization are very different than ones involved in maintaining a course.

JS probably weighed leadership skills, dynamic personalities, charisma. And ended up with a lot of people who went off the reservation.
Well, even Jesus picked a traitor, so I guess nobody's perfect.

Quote:
Whereas in 2009, I'm betting factors such as reliability, loyalty, and quiet competence are more highly valued. An apostle going off the reservation would be considered a complete disaster.

The revolution is over. The truth has arrived, and merely needs caretaking and competent dissemination. Such are the dynamics of the church.
Cf aforementioned comment on Self Loathing Mormons.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 01-13-2009, 12:34 AM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
"careful study" and "careful evaluation", one notes, is very different than passively waiting for the Lord's direction

I'm glad they are being careful. Screw this one up, and it is going to be decades before it can be undone.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:26 AM   #16
Tex

Quote:
"careful study" and "careful evaluation", one notes, is very different than passively waiting for the Lord's direction

I'm glad they are being careful. Screw this one up, and it is going to be decades before it can be undone.
Apparently it's been a while since you read the D&C.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 01-13-2009, 04:24 AM   #17
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I didn't think the "performance" was poor.

Well, even Jesus picked a traitor, so I guess nobody's perfect.

Cf aforementioned comment on Self Loathing Mormons.
Re: picking a traitor. Was Judas really needed? Didn't everyone in the area know who Jesus was? I think Judas gets a bad rap. Judas had always wanted Jesus to use his power to convert people and perhaps he saw this situation as an opportunity to force Jesus to show all the people the true power he had. I believe that.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:04 AM   #18
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
Re: picking a traitor. Was Judas really needed? Didn't everyone in the area know who Jesus was? I think Judas gets a bad rap. Judas had always wanted Jesus to use his power to convert people and perhaps he saw this situation as an opportunity to force Jesus to show all the people the true power he had. I believe that.
John thought he was a real prick.