cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2008, 02:25 AM   #1
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road
Default Cranford

The BBC production. Shown on PBS. Based on book by Mrs. Gaskell. Written in the 19th century about a small English town fearing the arrival of the railroad.

I watched it. I now admit it. And I'm not ashamed.

How many of us fear the coming of the railroad? Will it bring in riffraff?
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:36 PM   #2
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure why you should be ashamed about this. Because it's a period drama or something? And period dramas are for girls? Gaskell was a Victorian author, not a contemporary of the much malingned (around here) Jane Austen. Would you be ashamed to watch a Dickens piece as well?
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:49 PM   #3
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

I thought it was good. It was a bit predictable but all of those seems to be in a way.

I really thought it was funny when the lady made flannel pajamas for her cow. That part was great.

Next year on Masterpiece: Tess of the d’Urbervilles - don't know this much
Wuthering Heights - should be dark and great
a new Oliver Twist - awesome
David Copperfield - I have wanted to see this for a long time - with a young harry potter - my favorite Dickens book
Little Dorrit- another dickens - don't know this one at all, but comes in 5 parts so should be awesome, like Bleak House was
Old Curiosity Shop - Dickens - need to read the novel before this one shows

I am pumped about that schedule.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:16 PM   #4
Levin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
I'm not sure why you should be ashamed about this. Because it's a period drama or something? And period dramas are for girls? Gaskell was a Victorian author, not a contemporary of the much malingned (around here) Jane Austen. Would you be ashamed to watch a Dickens piece as well?
Having posted I loved Cranford, obviously I don't see a reason to be ashamed of that fact. I stated that "I'm not ashamed" to swat preemptively anyone who thinks to the contrary.

Love Austen; and Dickens.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Old 11-19-2008, 10:16 PM   #5
Levin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
I thought it was good. It was a bit predictable but all of those seems to be in a way.

I really thought it was funny when the lady made flannel pajamas for her cow. That part was great.

Next year on Masterpiece: Tess of the d’Urbervilles - don't know this much
Wuthering Heights - should be dark and great
a new Oliver Twist - awesome
David Copperfield - I have wanted to see this for a long time - with a young harry potter - my favorite Dickens book
Little Dorrit- another dickens - don't know this one at all, but comes in 5 parts so should be awesome, like Bleak House was
Old Curiosity Shop - Dickens - need to read the novel before this one shows

I am pumped about that schedule.
Sweet. I hadn't seen the schedule. Thanks for posting.

Masterpiece continues to do its little part in keeping television redeemable.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:08 AM   #6
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Masterpiece continues to do its little part in keeping television redeemable.
FX is also doing its part with the final season of The Shield. It's a very compelling and thought-provoking portrayal of modern-day urban Southern California.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote