cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2006, 12:50 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Murder, half mile from my house

42 year old Asian woman working in a small convenience store was murdered. Shot once by two men.

For some reason, this murder particularly infuriates me. Murder after murder in this town, like a drumbeat.

What kind of animal kills someone for $200?

She will be forgotten. She already has. Good chance the murderers will not be caught. And we will act surprised about the next murder. And only care if the victim is white and middle class.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:56 PM   #2
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
42 year old Asian woman working in a small convenience store was murdered. Shot once by two men.

For some reason, this murder particularly infuriates me. Murder after murder in this town, like a drumbeat.

What kind of animal kills someone for $200?

She will be forgotten. She already has. Good chance the murderers will not be caught. And we will act surprised about the next murder. And only care if the victim is white and middle class.
The media is sick in this regard, and it is a gross reflection of who advertisers think are watching and paying the bills.

As horrible as something like this may be, I don't think the media frenzy and white hype and outrage are any preferable.

White middle class america is safer than anyone in the world, so every murder becomes a media event where everyone works each other up into an exagerated fear stupor.

Unfortunately police forces play into the process... some murders get a lot more attention than others, and that is a shame.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:09 PM   #3
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
Unfortunately police forces play into the process... some murders get a lot more attention than others, and that is a shame.
Any murder is a shame. I think that we have two extremes here, one in Texas and one in Utah. In Utah the murder of 5 year old Destiny Norton is the top headline, and the police are taking a beating from the family. The family by no means is middle class and yet it's still a top story. The one Mike talks about in Texas is also a shame, especially because it seems so petty. But like Mike says, it is already forgotten. If you ask me though, I would say that the murder of a 5 year old girl is much more gruesome and does attract more attention.

Sad to contrast the two. Then again looking at Robin's neck of the woods, only a day without murder would be news worthy.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote