cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2006, 08:13 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Safeties

I believe the crop of safeties we have in the program might be the worst group we've ever had in the 20 years I've followed BYU football.

Thank you for only forcing me to watch two of these guys on the field at a time instead of three.

I'm worried that with Saulsberry and Pringle not making the two-deep this far into fall camp that those guys aren't going to do much. Our immediate need secondary recruits have been pretty lousy lately--Howard, Robinson, Saulsberry, Pringle.

In a perfect world those four guys would be handling the CB position, and Buchanon and Criddle would be turned over to the safety position, and maybe throw in one immediate need recruit at safety as well.

Any hope for the safety position in the future?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:20 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I am 95% certain that Dustin Gabriel will not finish the season, or even play more than half the season.

I think there is a decent chance that he doesn't play after the first game.

He has Steve Young syndrome. (no, not being ambiguously metrosexual. talking medical here).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:22 PM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Also Andre Saulsbery is going to redshirt.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:38 PM   #4
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
I am 95% certain that Dustin Gabriel will not finish the season, or even play more than half the season.

I think there is a decent chance that he doesn't play after the first game.

He has Steve Young syndrome. (no, not being ambiguously metrosexual. talking medical here).
Dustin Gabriel is a Hall-of-Fame QB deep down at heart, which is why he won't play much at safety?

TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:41 PM   #5
jay santos

If Saulsberry is going to redshirt it means he's so crappy he can't crack the depth chart this year.

I don't know if Gabriel not playing is good or bad. It's good in that it means we don't have to watch him, but bad in that we have to watch Gooch.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:43 PM   #6
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Whatever happened to David Tafuna? Is he still on the team?
Old 08-22-2006, 12:41 AM   #7
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos
If Saulsberry is going to redshirt it means he's so crappy he can't crack the depth chart this year.

I don't know if Gabriel not playing is good or bad. It's good in that it means we don't have to watch him, but bad in that we have to watch Gooch.
Actually, if he redshirts, I think it's because he was not in good enough shape for the start of camp - there were a number of comments, both from Bronco and from him, that I heard, regarding how some of the JC transfers weren't as prepared for fall camp as some of the freshmen. Saulsberry specifically commented on how he had a difficult time at the beginning of fall camp - so he probably got a bit behind. I think he's got talent, which is why Bronco would reshirt him rather than just linger down the depth chart (see O'neil Howell).

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:14 PM   #8
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug
Actually, if he redshirts, I think it's because he was not in good enough shape for the start of camp - there were a number of comments, both from Bronco and from him, that I heard, regarding how some of the JC transfers weren't as prepared for fall camp as some of the freshmen. Saulsberry specifically commented on how he had a difficult time at the beginning of fall camp - so he probably got a bit behind. I think he's got talent, which is why Bronco would reshirt him rather than just linger down the depth chart (see O'neil Howell).
I don't think any coach is crazy enough to redshirt a talented player that you desperately need at a position that can make or break you just because he came into camp out of shape. How long does it take to get in shape? These are 20 yr old kids with 5% body fat (CB's).

If he's redshirting it means he's not that good.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:20 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I would submit that if you show up to camp and you are out of shape, such that you can't contribute, that you are no good.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:25 PM   #10
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

I disagree.

Chris Bolden last year came to camp WAY out of shape and it took him a few months to get back in shape. Redshirting him was a good idea as he has seemingly been a guy who has contributed, and will contribute this season.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote