cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2007, 08:32 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Add

Is ADD an excuse for mere lack of discipline and sloth and another vehicle for shrinks to develop revenue streams? To tell you the truth I've mistrusted ADD more than the alcoholism as a disease model. If I'm wrong somebody enlighten me.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Is ADD an excuse for mere lack of discipline and sloth and another vehicle for shrinks to develop revenue streams? To tell you the truth I've mistrusted ADD more than the alcoholism as a disease model. If I'm wrong somebody enlighten me.
There are plenty of things that are waaaay over-diagnosed, in my opinion. We appear to have successfully conned the general public into believing that any distress, any aberrant behavior, any excess emotion, etc. is a disorder. I imagine the tenth version of the DSM will have some 2500 diagnostic categories in it (tic). Emil Kraepelin is doing a veritable jig in his grave.

And yes, money makes our world go round, too. Witness psychologists trying to get a piece of the prescriptive ability pie.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:51 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a bit of skepticism about ADD. And esp. treating it with methamphetamines and other amphetamines.

But it's really out of my expertise and experience.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:57 PM   #4
SeattleUte

I've seen Ohio Blue's paradigm in action. Kid starts smoking pot and flunking his classes. Parents take him to a shrink who says the kid has ADD. Parents are hugely relieved to know their kid is stricken by a terrible disease rather than just a lazy, bad kid. What's better they can give him medication for it.

—Paul Auster
Old 01-30-2007, 09:11 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's the kicker. What if he starts the medication, and all that bad kid stuff goes away. And then you stop the medication and it comes back gradually. And then you start the medication again, and it goes away.

This is what some parents face.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:33 PM   #6
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Here's the kicker. What if he starts the medication, and all that bad kid stuff goes away. And then you stop the medication and it comes back gradually. And then you start the medication again, and it goes away.

This is what some parents face.
I'm sure that can happen and I hope I never face that choice. But my current thinking is let the kid suffer the consequences of his bad behavior unmedicated and hope that what doesn't kill him will make him stronger. Plenty of successful people did recreational drugs and flunked high school classes. I'm afraid you get him used to prescribed medication as a crutch and he'll live in a malaise. That's my uneducated instnct, but I'd be loath to give a kid of mine a powerful medication on the bare diagnosis of ADD.

—Paul Auster