cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2006, 05:46 PM   #1
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do players who "Put in time" deserve to play as se

This has kind of become a sesnsitive topic over on some other message boards, so of course, i'll bring it here. Some have suggested that players like Chris Jackson or Tim Drisdom for the Utes desrve to play major minutes because they're seniors and haven't "quit" on the program and have "put in time." Anyone buying this? I'm not saying these guys aren't good people, but if the coach thinks you can't play and benches you during your senior year...do you really think that he owes you playing time?

Any thoughts on this? I know that the Cougs have also been in this position before with some players and may find that to be the case next year... just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:48 PM   #2
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

It's an interesting circle there. It seems like a selfish desire to be put it, like you're playing to be scouted for the next level. But if you're not getting the job done now, you ain't goin' nowhere next year! I'm sure they're contributing on some level and deserve game time in that respect, but I'm never a fan of "I've got to get 18 minutes/game." The coach has to "PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!" -- and to keep his job beyond next week. If that requires sitting older guys because they aren't performing, can you blame him?

They haven't quit? Wow! How about you reward them with, say, their scholarship check?!
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:49 PM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Having done some coaching on a semi-college level in the past these are my observations:

#1 - The new guys, especially Borha & Johns have not bought into Giacoletti's system at all and in fact when on the court seem to be fighting him tooth and nail. The effort out there at times is down right embarrassing.

#2 - For the life of me I can't understand why Neville isn't starting and getting more playing time. Giac should take some notes from Dave Rose here in this regard. Plaisted is starting and though struggling with foul trouble, is getting better and better and using Dawes in stretches here and there. Instead, Giac is starting Chris Jackson....I don't get it.

#3 - Bryant Markson seems to have a pretty complacent attitude and isn't commanding respect from his teammates. I've always contended that much in the vain of Mike Hall that Markson is not a #1 guy on a team and this year is bearing that out. Having Bogut around really elevated Markson's game. Tim Drisdom has ALWAYS been a very mediocre point guard so I don't think either way he would have much of an impact.

#4 - I'm now hearing that a lot of people in the know aren't happy with how Giac is treating a lot of his players, and in return the players are tuning him out.

#5 - They shy away from physicality. If someone goes after them physically they don't respond back. Ultimately, Giac has a team with serious chemistry issues & a couple of players, new recruits in Borha and Johns that were significantly overated in terms of the impact many thought they would have.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 11:46 PM   #4
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

i agree with most of what you say Rocky, but I think Nevill is starting now.

And i agree Giac came in with a my way or the highway attitude. Cheney and Hawkins didnt buy in, so they were shown the door. He has basically cleaned house and is trying to win with a lot of backups.

With that being said, Markson has shown he can be a good player but he has not proven that he can be the focal point of the offense, Nevill is there best offensive player and will only get better.

I dont think that playing time is a given for any player no matter how long you are with the team. There are 4 year players in football that never see the field. They do not get any extra rewards. I think the best players should play and Johnnie Bryant is twice the player Drisdom is.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:33 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Nobody deserves to play. If the coach thinks a player can help the team by sitting on the bench, so be it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 04:23 AM   #6
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
Nobody deserves to play. If the coach thinks a player can help the team by sitting on the bench, so be it.
I agree. 'Deserved' & 'Owed' has nothing to do with anything. This is about winning. The coach has to put the players out on the floor that give the team the best chance to win. Its just the nature of his job.