cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2006, 04:22 PM   #1
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I wish more people paid attention to BYU hoops....

At times I feel dirty to actually be interested in Y hoops.

If there was more of a market I would think there would be more information. Does anyone have any idea of what jc players the Y is looking at this year?

With Jimmer and CC in the fold I think Rose turns to JC players to replace the crop of seniors he loses this year. Specifically I think he needs a JC PG and a JC wing. Perhaps a JC PF, but that is not as crucial as the other two.

At PG next year he has Ben Murdock and Jimmer Fredette who are both closer to combo guards than point guards. Neither are high end D1 players. Fredette will be a true freshman and Murdock will have limited experience as Rashaun and Ainge will get the lions share of the minutes this year. A good JC pg like Rashaun is a likely recruiting priority for next year.

At the wing the Y will have Cummard, Burgess and perhaps Tavernari. Cummard will get his chance to demonstrate if he is growing into his hype and talent this year. Burgess will be a solid back up this year and next, but I don't think he has the pure athleticism to be an impact player. Tavernari sounds like he has great potential but I am concerned about his mental grasp. Besides that he may also go on a mission after this year. Unless both Tavernari and Cummard show that they can be impact level players next year, the Y will need a solid JC wing to transfer in.

BYU will return plent of bigs, but I think they need another steady JC PF to transfer in, similar to Malaman. I think that Trent Plaisted will slide down into the 4 for next year and the 5 will be manned by Vuk and Gavin MacGregor. Miles will probably redshirt and Anderson will not be ready to contribute to much other than practice, garbage time and perhaps a few minutes of others get in foul trouble. I would like to see the Y get another steady, not neccesarily a superstar, JC PF to transfer to BYU.

One issue with this might be if Rose promised Murdock a scholie for his senior year. If he did I think the PF scholie would go to him and Miles would probably back up Plaisted and not redshirt.

So my roster for next year would look like:

PG: JC PG, Ben Murdock (walk-on), Jimmer Fredette
SG: Cummard, Sam Burgess
WF: JC Wing, Johnathon Tavernari
PF: Plaisted, JC PF, Chris Collinsworth, Miles (Redshirt)
C: Vuk Ivanovic, Gavin McGregor, Anderson,
Old 09-15-2006, 04:25 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Isn't Tavernari likely to serve a mission, unless he can see the light and serve a mission, serving up threes on the court?

Man I wish de Toledo would have stayed around.

Who is Anderson?

Last edited by Archaea; 09-15-2006 at 04:45 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:32 PM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I love BYU hoops. I get just as jacked for them as I do for football.

The team has a chance to do some serious damage this year.

If you look at the MWC teams and see who's returning and the kind of new blood that's coming in league wide, the MWC will be pretty good this year.

The MWC sends 3 teams to the Tourney this year. Maybe 4.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:58 PM   #4
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
Isn't Tavernari likely to serve a mission, unless he can see the light and serve a mission, serving up threes on the court?

Man I wish de Toledo would have stayed around.

Who is Anderson?
Anderson is the kid from Paige who signed and went straight on a mission. A project big man.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:59 PM   #5
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

What about the Pinegar kid who is currently serving in my Ward ... He's a point due home in a little less than a year?
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:56 PM   #6
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue
What about the Pinegar kid who is currently serving in my Ward ... He's a point due home in a little less than a year?
I've never heard of this kid unless you're referring to an older recruit by the name of Jesse Pinegar who played at Brighton and eventually transferred to the islands.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:16 PM   #7
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

It's probably the Pingear kid that played PG for the state champ team at Timpview HS in Provo 2-3 years ago. I don't believe Cleveland gave him a scholarship but he was promised a "preferred walk-on" spot.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:03 PM   #8
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats correct is Matt Pinegar. He is a PG who went straight on a mission.