cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 12:30 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A relegation setup between MWC and WAC

Article in slate proposes that this be done for the NHL.

http://www.slate.com/id/2175024/nav/tap3/

I put this in the football category because someone said we ought to do it for the MWC + WAC as well.

I think it would be a lot of fun, and would make us non-BCS castoffs much more interesting.

Kick the lowest two finishers to the league below.

The downside of this is that it makes the winner of the top league unlikely to be undefeated in conference play, and therefore unlikely to win the national championship. But hades, it's impossible to win anyway, so WHO CARES!!!

There would be a lot of excitement in the league about what happens at the bottom as well as the top. And then you get the up and comers into the top league, making everything more competitive. It would put the league more on par with BCS quality (currently MWC is far from BCS quality--the difference between the 1st and 6th BCS conference is the same as the difference between the 6th BCS and the MWC).

We don't have any visionaries in the MWC, and at BYU, so this will never happen.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:31 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I should also add that there is no "rivalry" in the MWC that I would worry about losing in a relegation league. The only game that fans might sniff at losing would be Utah, but that chances that Utah would be relegated to the lower league would be small. (however those chances increase under KWHitt every year).
Old 10-08-2007, 12:45 AM   #3
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Article in slate proposes that this be done for the NHL.

http://www.slate.com/id/2175024/nav/tap3/

I put this in the football category because someone said we ought to do it for the MWC + WAC as well.

I think it would be a lot of fun, and would make us non-BCS castoffs much more interesting.

Kick the lowest two finishers to the league below.

The downside of this is that it makes the winner of the top league unlikely to be undefeated in conference play, and therefore unlikely to win the national championship. But hades, it's impossible to win anyway, so WHO CARES!!!

There would be a lot of excitement in the league about what happens at the bottom as well as the top. And then you get the up and comers into the top league, making everything more competitive. It would put the league more on par with BCS quality (currently MWC is far from BCS quality--the difference between the 1st and 6th BCS conference is the same as the difference between the 6th BCS and the MWC).

We don't have any visionaries in the MWC, and at BYU, so this will never happen.
I agree. I'd love to see the top 2 or 3 non-BCS teams be promoted every year and the worst 2-3 BCS teams get demoted to a non-BCS league. They could put them wherever makes the most sense geographically.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:18 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
I agree. I'd love to see the top 2 or 3 non-BCS teams be promoted every year and the worst 2-3 BCS teams get demoted to a non-BCS league. They could put them wherever makes the most sense geographically.
No I am not proposing this, because it would never happen. You would have to make it only among non-BCS.