cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2006, 10:04 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default I heard a Korean guy on NPR last night say the most apalling thing

Last night on NPR a Korean guy was ranting about how intolerable the 30,000 U.S. servicemen occupying Korea were. He made some points that seemed valid and for a while he had a sympathetic ear from me. There is such a thing as the ugly American. Then he said, "It's as bad as when the Japanese were here." About this I'm speechless. I don't know what to say about such collosal ignorance other than to say hearing things like this makes me think we should be like Norway and retreat into isolationism, learn to power our cars by burning manure, coal or whatever, and let the miserable world outside Western Europe, Canada, Australia and Japan fuck themselves. I don't really feel that way, but hearing things like that conjures up those kindds of dark thoughts in me.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:47 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I could feel that way about everywhere but Canada and Tahiti, , or France Outre-Mer.

It goes to show that most societies have short memories of history. The Japanese have done a much better job of eradicating their blame for World War II than any other nation. Of course, many of their history books don't even record the atrocities committed against the Chinese during WWII.

Koreans integrated within Japanese society do not fare well. There are numerous jobs which the Koreans in Japan may not hold by virtue of their Korean lineage.

Last edited by Archaea; 09-08-2006 at 11:14 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:36 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm all for pulling out of S. Korea. They don't want us there. Why should we die for people that hate us? It makes no sense to me.

I'm sure Japan wants a buffer, and prefers we stay. But who cares. It's easier to defend Japan than S. Korea.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:08 AM   #4
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Comparing the presence of 30,000 U.S. troops in South Korea to the Japanese occupation is, well I can't even think of a word that can sufficiently describe the absurdity of the statement. The guy is a full on idiot.

The biggest difference is that we are there at the request of the South Korean government, much like we are in Japan, Germany, Italy, Spain, Greece, Turkey, etc. If the South Korean Government wanted us out, we would be gone. Fairly simple. That idiot remains in the vocal minority.

The larger issue of U.S. presence overseas is an interesting debate. It is that very presence that allows countries like Norway to retreat and become isolationist and minimize their defense outlays. Would Europe be one market had we not stayed after the war? Would Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, etc. be the economic powers that they are had we not stayed? I think the world would be a much different and more dangerous place without our presence. That would all eventually impact on us no matter how isolationist we would want to be. I think we learned that after WWI.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:22 PM   #5
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah
Comparing the presence of 30,000 U.S. troops in South Korea to the Japanese occupation is, well I can't even think of a word that can sufficiently describe the absurdity of the statement. The guy is a full on idiot.

The biggest difference is that we are there at the request of the South Korean government, much like we are in Japan, Germany, Italy, Spain, Greece, Turkey, etc. If the South Korean Government wanted us out, we would be gone. Fairly simple. That idiot remains in the vocal minority.

The larger issue of U.S. presence overseas is an interesting debate. It is that very presence that allows countries like Norway to retreat and become isolationist and minimize their defense outlays. Would Europe be one market had we not stayed after the war? Would Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, etc. be the economic powers that they are had we not stayed? I think the world would be a much different and more dangerous place without our presence. That would all eventually impact on us no matter how isolationist we would want to be. I think we learned that after WWI.
Hey, I agree.

—Paul Auster
Old 09-09-2006, 11:43 PM   #6
SeattleUte

Japan also imposed a dictatorship, no civil liberties, no sovereignty, genocied, etc.

—Paul Auster
Old 09-10-2006, 01:07 AM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
Japan also imposed a dictatorship, no civil liberties, no sovereignty, genocied, etc.
but otherwise were benevolent dictators.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 05:31 AM   #8
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
but otherwise were benevolent dictators.
Yeah, it was a "co-prosperity sphere" after all, eh?
Old 09-10-2006, 05:35 AM   #9
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Anyone read "The of Nanking" by Iris Chang? The Japanese occupation was unbelievably brutal. As a former missionary to Japan it is jarring to read of such atrocities and contrast it with the modern Japan that I know.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:44 AM   #10
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski
Anyone read "The of Nanking" by Iris Chang? The Japanese occupation was unbelievably brutal. As a former missionary to Japan it is jarring to read of such atrocities and contrast it with the modern Japan that I know.
One year, my MIL brought back a large packet of magazines from Japan for my dad to read. (My dad is not Japanese, but reads novels and historical books in the language). When I asked what they were about, he just laughed and said they were an ultra-right wing magazine that claimed the atrocities committed in Nanking never happened. I don't know how many people share this view (my MIL probably just saw the headlines on the cover and figured my dad would like it since he reads historical books), but I think even the Japanese govt. only recently acknowledged any such wrongdoing. eta: I could be wrong about that, and don't have time to look it up now.

Last edited by FarrahWaters; 09-10-2006 at 12:08 PM.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote