cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 10:44 PM   #21
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
So what should the church do?
A deemphasis on the KJV would be a good start, recognizing that there is value in using other versions.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:46 PM   #22
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
A deemphasis on the KJV would be a good start, recognizing that there is value in using other versions.
A great first start. We probably invested too much in the KJV. It may have been a good bible for the 19th century but it's almost outlived its usefulness.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:25 AM   #23
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
How do you deemphasize the KJV? If nearly everyone is already carrying around a KJV to church, what do you do as an organization to deemphasize it?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:36 AM   #24
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
How do you deemphasize the KJV? If nearly everyone is already carrying around a KJV to church, what do you do as an organization to deemphasize it?
Tricky to be sure, but not impossible. Perhaps a correllation approved NT manual using other translations as source would be interesting. The church library could also stock additional copies of the different translations and encourage members to check them out.

This could also start at the CES level where HS Seminary and Institute students are encouraged to compare and read the different versions. It would be fairly inexpensive, especially with the free resources available online.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:24 AM   #25
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
There are few things more needlessly absurd than trying to shove Jacobian English down today's immigrant investigators.
I don't see how that's a problem. Immigrants can read the Bible in their own language. English-speaking immigrants usually already know the Bible 10x better than we do.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:32 AM   #26
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

First things first. Let's get rid of the King's English in prayers.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:43 AM   #27
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
First things first. Let's get rid of the King's English in prayers.
Surely thou jests?
Old 09-25-2007, 01:47 AM   #28
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
I don't see how that's a problem. Immigrants can read the Bible in their own language. English-speaking immigrants usually already know the Bible 10x better than we do.
Living in a Hispanic Branch, I have yet to see someone carry an English Bible around.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:47 AM   #29
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm not sure how the church can place its imprimatur of authority explicitly or tacitly on a translation that corrects the translation errors contained in the KJV of Isiah that are replicated in second Nephi.

I don't think that can of worms gets opened purposefully.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:34 AM   #30
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I like many of these ideas.

This debate shoulders what I believe plagues most biblical Mormon scholars, a lack of credibility in the academic world.

IMHO, it seems most LDS scholars either commence doing something with FARMS which has such a low volume of scholarship or interest outside of LDS world to be almost meaningless, or to engage in plain apologetics for LDS faith.

Now, somebody will point to an exception, but in other fields, we have accomplished LDS scholars not engaged in apologetics. The best scholars which touch upon these subjects are Givens and Bushman, not biblical scholars per se, but a literary and an historical scholar.

We need LDS who research and write cutting edge stuff on textual criticism or on the Documentary Hypothesis with such skill and determination that the nonLDS scholars, the Germans and other Continentals take note, so that when their scholarship is turned to LDS issues, they have credibility.

It almost seems as if BY is challenging LDS scholars to be on the cutting edge, and as Henry Eyring argued to be on the side of truth, even if risk is involved. What too often happens, LDS scholars end up with no support and often lose faith instead of forging ahead.

These last two years I have refamiliarized myself with the quality of LDS scholarship in religious matters, and the quality is very disparate, some of it good, some of it horrible but almost none of it first rate. Why is that? It isn't true in other disciplines.
I think the trend in scholarship today is moving AWAY from the Documentary hypothesis. Most apologetic work on textual criticism has been building on the work of liberals. In these areas, having LDS at the forefront would be great, but not necessary. The consensus of Biblical scholarship deny it teaches creation ex-nihilio and trinitarianism. The consensus holds that the religion of Israel evolved from henotheism (as in LDS belief) into monotheism AFTER THE EXILE.

It is true there are no world-class LDS Bible scholars. But compared to the NT Church, we have a good number of tenured professors. I've spoken with my OT prof. Seely and he said that there is still discrimination against LDS for positions and publications.

There is one area in which LDS are on the cutting edge, and that is Dead Sea Scroll research. There's five LDS on the editing team, and BYU, along with Notre Dame and Hebrew U., are the main centers of DSS imaging. That is an area in which the LDS have gained respect.

Many schools are opening Mormon studies depts. Maybe that will make up for that we don't have a school of theology.

Nibley, in spite of his errors, is well-respected among non-LDS scholars. He's been called a linguistic genius by the dean of Harvard Divinity and has received other praise.

If you haven't read Owen and Mosser's piece, you should read it, that is the best summary of LDS scholarship ever.