cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-11-2006, 02:30 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bushcraft

No this does not refer to Pres. Bush's seeming ability to make people like Snipe think he is God...

Rather it refers to a sort of outdoors survivalism.

With Mr. Kim's death, it has been on my mind. How would I have tried to survive?

Last night I was reading up on what sort of knife to buy. I came across some stuff about the Mora knife and that led to stuff about a couple of bushcraft teachers/authors.

One is Mors Kochanski. I happened on a few documents and interviews about him.

And then there is a guy named Ray Mears, out of the UK. He's done books and TV shows. He doesnt' preach mere survival. He teaches about outdoor appreciation and respect for indigenous cultures, etc.

There is a vast amount of knowledge re: survival that is slipping away. I think it would be a fun hobby to become more knowledgeable. For example, what plants are edible, how to chop down small trees with a Mora knife. Mutiple fire building methods.

One thing Kochanski would do in his classes is have his students dip their feet in an icy stream. Wearing wool socks, there feet quickly dry and warm as they walk sans-shoes across the snow and ice. If they keep their shoe on, their feet will freeze. Anyway, I will soon learn more.

My scouts didn't know they have a budding Rambo on their hands.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote