cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2006, 01:09 AM   #1
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default need the experts help

I want to start biking, however not sure where to start i dont own a bike right now, but want something that is pretty universal roadbike/mountain bike (if they make such a thing) the problem is i am a pretty big fella i am 6'2 and about 290lbs. So i am not even sure what size bike i would need, basically i am as virgin as they come. In terms of price i dont want to overspend because who knows how long i stick with it (i have tendency to change hobbies frequently) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:15 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

there is such thing as a hybrid bike that is sort of like a commuter bike. You can hop curbs, you have thinner tires.

However it would be good at neither road nor mountain biking.

If you want to be a bit more serious, you have to choose one or the other (or both bikes).

check craigslist for some bikes.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 02:21 AM   #3
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Right now I'd go for a lower price range hardtail mountain bike. Sometimes this requires a bit of an ego swallow when going into the bike shop, but you have to avoid the temptation to let them sell you the biggest, baddest, bike in the shop. Someday when you have found your niche in the biking world you'll want to upgrade to a more sport specific bike.

If you try for a road/mountain combination, what you end up with is a slow road bike that does not do well at all off road. In other words... You end up with a bike that sucks for both purposes. There are people who buy and use cyclecross bikes but it is sort of a sport unto itself.

If you plan to ride on the road and dirt go with a mountain bike with tires that are a little thinner and have a less agressive tread pattern. The posture and stability of a mountain bike will make the transition into cycling a little easier for you and leave you with both options. A mountain bike is much slower than a road bike on pavement but that really only makes a difference if you're starting to get more serious about it. If you find yourself in that situation... upgrade!

Down the road when you've got an itch to become a more agressive mountain biker or a more serious roadie, then upgrade.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:43 AM   #4
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

consider a cyclocross frame. As of a few years ago there were quite a few Cyclocross frmaes out there. Very sturdy and stiff, could handle your size w/o trouble, and very durable. Functional on both road and trail, although really it is a sturdy road bike. Do an itnernet search for cyclocross frames and see if it appeals to you. IF so come back and we can give you all of our differnet opinions about compnents, etc.