cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2006, 08:25 PM   #1
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default myboynoah's TdF report

Okay, here goes.

I woke up and did some recon to assess the situation out on the street. I had no idea whether or not the neighborhood folks would come out in force or how early. In the end, they didn’t, so fighting for a spot was not an issue.

They were going to close the street at 1:30, so my boys and I went out at around 1:00 to be ready. The street right in front our place divides, so the local maintenance guys had prepositioned some red and white barriers to funnel the riders down one side of the street. Police were all around waiting to put the street closing plan into place. While waiting, we held up our signs and yelled at the cars and cyclists that passed. Most good-naturedly honked back. We also chanted “Fermez la route, fermez la route” to the maintenance guys.

When they finally deployed the barriers we went out and secured spots right behind the barriers, thinking that would be prime position to get noticed (see pictures) and then waited for the sponsors’ caravan and continued to wave our signs and yell “vive le tour” at the passing official cars. The sponsors’ caravan came by on schedule and was a riot as they threw out free stuff (by this time we had quite a few children gathered at our place, so we presented a sympathetic group for free stuff). There were hats, key chains, pens, dried sausages, coffee, little beach balls, waters, those blow-up sticks for making noise (you probably saw some then in all the crowds), etc. The one thing we didn’t get were those big green hands from PMU. The kids said it was like Christmas which made me realize my kids have very low expectations.

We waved our signs at each sponsor and got some “Qu’est que c’est B-Y-U s (be-igrek-u)?” I did get a very American “Hey, BYU!” from someone in a Bouygues Telecom car.

Then we settled in for the long wait for the Peleton. They were supposed to come by about an hour and a half after the caravan, but ended up coming about an hour late. As we waited, we noticed a bunch of France 2 and 3 (TV stations) cars stopped about 200 meters up the street where some people were grilling out on their houseboat. One person that got out had dreadlocks, so I joking said it must be Yannik Noah. When they finally passed our spot, it was Yannick Noah. He had a "Qu'est que c'est B-Y-U?" look on his face.

As the Peleton finally approached, we positioned ourselves front and center to get noticed. Sadly, I could see that the cameraman on the motorcycle (see picture) was focused on the Phonak guys and Floyd. We yelled and they came at a fairly leisurely pace, I estimate at about 20 mph, but even then they passed very quickly. I focused on Phonak and Floyd, so I missed seeing anybody else. The kids saw Floyd as well and were very excited. My wife took a picture, looked down at the camera, and missed seeing anything.

I was struck by how small they are. I doubt any of them goes more than 155.

We reviewed our tape and as I guessed, they went from a wide overhead shot (in which you couldn’t make out any details) to a close up of the Phonak guys and Floyd right as they passed, missing us entirely. I should have opted for the Spongebob suit.

Overall, a great family experience that we will remember forever. And a great way to spend a Sunday on occasion.

Here is the barrier they put up to funnel the Peleton down one side of the street. It was like putting together giant-sized Legos. My sons saw that there is a future in Legos.

My boys and one daughter, Hannah (like that name, IPU?), at the barrier waiting for the festivities.

La famille myboynoah waiting for the Peleton after the sponsors’ caravan passed. Mrs. myboynoah is sitting on the left with what looks like a pink hat (actually red and white checked). Two daughters and two boys.

The Phonak-led Peleton approaches. Notice the cameraman on the motorcycle is focused on Phonak and Floyd. Must not have seen our BYU sign.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:39 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

the last shot is kind of cool because it seems like you are standing inappropriately in the middle of the road. (of course you were behind the barrier i take it).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:24 AM   #3
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Great report myboynoah. I am tre jealous that you had such a great spot to see the peleton go by.

And that last picture is very cool. like MW said, it looks like you are about to become roadkill for the left side of the peleton.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:34 AM   #4
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I concur. Great post and great report. For at least a few minutes I was intensely jealous.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:40 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Great report the MBN. And yes, a good choice name for your girl.

I looked for your signs, but saw nothing. We now know why, as for some reason, those in charge apparently decided it was more important for Floyd to get air time. Had you worn the SpongeBob costume and boplted out onto the street holding the BYU sign, you would have had air time for sure, especially if you cause a wreck.

There's always next year, eh?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote