cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2006, 02:44 PM   #1
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default when does Levi abandon?

We may need a new category for the prediction contest: When will Levi abandon?

Phil just noted that Levi must have soimethintg wrong with him given his very bad first week+.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:12 PM   #2
creekster

Hold the Mayo!

Actually, no need as he seems to be able to hold himsel;f. Mayo finished 24 minutes back from the finsiher today. 24 minutes for a reputed climber!

I know you are all tired of seeing me have a dialogue with myself about cycling so, in the spirit ofd Sizzle's break from CB, I vow not to post on this forum again until I really, really feel like it.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:16 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anybody want to win this Tour?

I can't figure out the strategies.

CSC?

T Mobile?

Disco?

Phonak?

Keep discussing it Creekster.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:30 PM   #4
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

In yesterdays pre-race discussion onOLN, the said that today is more of a transition into the mountains. The day to watch is tomorrow. For any teams looking to attack, tomorrow os the day. it is supposed to be a killer stage.
I would guess then that the big guys are holding back a little on today. Landis is 4 mins. back (Ithink). In striking distance for a big mountain day.
We need to have this converstaion tomorrow afternoon and see where things stand.
Quisqueyano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 07:13 PM   #5
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisqueyano
In yesterdays pre-race discussion onOLN, the said that today is more of a transition into the mountains. The day to watch is tomorrow. For any teams looking to attack, tomorrow os the day. it is supposed to be a killer stage.
I would guess then that the big guys are holding back a little on today. Landis is 4 mins. back (Ithink). In striking distance for a big mountain day.
We need to have this converstaion tomorrow afternoon and see where things stand.
This is all true, but Levi wasn't just sitting in the warmnth of the peloton today, he kept dropping off the back and was in difficulty. He was not holding back, he was hanging on. Quite simply, he looks to be in not very good form right now. I am more and more concinvced that he has some sort of virus or other physical issue.

Moreover, Mayo, by coming home with the grupetto at 24:24 back (he finsihed with Tom Boonen for crying out loud) has as much as stood up and said "I am not a contender for this tour's podium." It is possible that he decided to go for a couple of stage wins, and tomrrow's stage would be a good one for him as it is in the pyrenees, as would the stage that includes the Alpe d'Huez, for which climb he holds the record, but for a guy that supposedly had GC aspirations today's perfromance was pretty embarassing and so he BETTER win a stage or two.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:23 PM   #6
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
Hold the Mayo!
In all seriousness I rushed to the computer at lunch to use this as a headline! Damn you Creekster.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 07:50 PM   #7
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

Quote:
This is all true, but Levi wasn't just sitting in the warmnth of the peloton today, he kept dropping off the back and was in difficulty. He was not holding back, he was hanging on. Quite simply, he looks to be in not very good form right now. I am more and more concinvced that he has some sort of virus or other physical issue.

Moreover, Mayo, by coming home with the grupetto at 24:24 back (he finsihed with Tom Boonen for crying out loud) has as much as stood up and said "I am not a contender for this tour's podium." It is possible that he decided to go for a couple of stage wins, and tomrrow's stage would be a good one for him as it is in the pyrenees, as would the stage that includes the Alpe d'Huez, for which climb he holds the record, but for a guy that supposedly had GC aspirations today's perfromance was pretty embarassing and so he BETTER win a stage or two.

Levi is a different story. I think you're right. He is sick or something.
I was referring to the rest of the contenders. Individually and teams. Tomorrow will a defining day.
Quisqueyano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:49 AM   #8
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

From the LeTour site today Gerolsteiner Team Manager Hans Holczer offered the following in an interview:

Gerolsteiner’s Marcus Fothen is currently in the white jersey as leader of the youth classification but the team’s manager Hans Holczer isn’t sure if it’s worth concentrating on defending this prize so early in the Tour.

“Marcus has the ability to win the white jersey but I think it’s a little too soon to start focussing on it. The best idea is for him to do his job in the team and help where he can. If he remains high in the general classification, that’s a good thing,” continued Holczer.

“I think that we’ll start to concentrate on defending Marcus’ lead if he’s still in a good position in the last stages in the Alps.”

Marcus Fothen has said at the end of every stage that he is in the Gerolsteiner team to help Levi Leipheimer. The young German is, however, the best placed in GC of his team. He is 13th overall, while Leipheimer is in 58th place. The team’s manager Hans Holczer isn’t too sure what he can expect from the American today.

"Levi is okay," said Holczer. "Yesterday he said he felt perfect early but on the second climb he said that he had no power in the legs.

"I hope that after the first hills yesterday that his body is accustomed to the rhythm of climbing but it’s hard to tell.

"I’m a little cautious. It’s too early to know exactly what we can expect from Levi."

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:23 PM   #9
creekster

Props to Levi. He showed great today, too bad he didn't get the stage win. You havce to winder what the heck happened to him yesterday (he said in a n interview he ahdn't eatne properly, which I find amazing given all the help these guys have) and in the ITT.

Menchov looked strong, but he really wheel sucked Landis on the last climb and only Levi showed much attacking spirit of the final three.

Landis reminded me a little of Ullrich in the way he just kept motoring. Levi kept tryingf to go off the front and Menchov was sort of yo-=yo-ing around, but Landis seemed to pick a pace and keeo it. Very impressive ride for a guy with one hip.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:27 PM   #10
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Props to Levi. He showed great today, too bad he didn't get the stage win. You havce to winder what the heck happened to him yesterday (he said in a n interview he ahdn't eatne properly, which I find amazing given all the help these guys have) and in the ITT.

Menchov looked strong, but he really wheel sucked Landis on the last climb and only Levi showed much attacking spirit of the final three.

Landis reminded me a little of Ullrich in the way he just kept motoring. Levi kept tryingf to go off the front and Menchov was sort of yo-=yo-ing around, but Landis seemed to pick a pace and keeo it. Very impressive ride for a guy with one hip.
On eating, everynight Eurosport does a wrap up show and then a little behind the scenes feature. The other night they showed one of the teams preparing the mid-stage meal (I think it was T-Mobile, but I can't remember; like it matters). I thought the meal would be heavy on health bars and that kind of stuff. While that is probably part of it, I was surprised to see them preparing baguette sandwiches (jambon fromage or salami and mozerella with tomato and lettuce) and fruit. I can't imagine someone trying to wolf down a baguette sandwich at 40 kph. The pick up point looks totally hectic as well. A total eye-opener.

On Landis, SI has an interesting article about how he got into cyclism and some stuff on the parting of the ways with Lance and USPS. One might call Landis a prick as well. I admire them all for their drive.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote