cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2006, 06:36 PM   #1
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Equipment Suggestions

Ok...as you all may know already...I'm fairly new to the sport of cycling, and I'd like to get you experienced pro's opinion on some tips:

1) On these hot summer days, what do you use to keep the sweat from streaming into your eyes and/or glasses? Man, I'm sweating just thinking about this...but I'm telling you...after a while on the seat, if I look down to put the water bottle back in it's holder...my eyes and glasses get the salt water treatment.

2) Glasses. What are some economical, nice riding glasses? The ones I'm using are ok...but not what I want for the long term. Durable, not easily scratched etc.

Thanks in advance.
The Borg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:06 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Good questions.

No perfect answers.

Cycling hat works for a couple of hours but a head band can also work.

I have used eye drops so that I can see when the sweat drips into eyes.

Glasses. Get something that fits. The Nike or Ocean Pacific work fine for me.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:21 PM   #3
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Borg
1) On these hot summer days, what do you use to keep the sweat from streaming into your eyes and/or glasses? Man, I'm sweating just thinking about this...but I'm telling you...after a while on the seat, if I look down to put the water bottle back in it's holder...my eyes and glasses get the salt water treatment.
This has always been a problem for me. I've tried headbands, and headcovers to no avail. The thing that works best for me is an occasional wipe with the glove. I've given up on sweat free eyes.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:47 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

for you slow pokes...if you go fast enough the sweat evaporates.

MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:49 PM   #5
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I rode this past weekend with a guy who sweats more than the average bear.

He rotated headbands ever half hour or so, airing out the extra one on his handlebars while it was not on his head. Pretty gross when he was wringing it after use. Its never really been a problem for me, though, as I'm just not a sweater (or a carnigan at that).

As far as glasses go, I lose or sit on them too quickly after I buy them to invest too much money into a good pair. A friend recently bought a pair off Performancebike.com that he is happy with. It was a cheap pair with interchangable lenses that seem to be working just fine.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:55 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

speaking of performance, they are having a sale right now. free shipping, no minimum order. pretty good deal.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:02 PM   #7
The Borg

Default Thanks for the tips

Hmmm...yes, you would think that 90°+ heat blowing on you would dry out sweat before it goes streaming into my eyes like a kid toting a water pistol...but, whatever is going on under my helmet is producing liquid as fast as I can drink.

I kind of feel like that guy in the movie "Airplane" as he's trying to land the plane and perspiration is squirting into the air all over the place.

Ok...not that gross...but man, I sure hate it dripping into my eyes.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:15 PM   #8
mtnbiker310

mtnbiker310

I've been using a DoWrap Stubby, and it works really well. When I forget it, I regret it. I typically sweat a lot, but the Stubby keeps it out of my eyes and glasses. I do still get it coming down in front of my ears, but at least it doesn't sting or impair vision.

Regarding the glasses, get something with the nifty rubber nose & earpieces, or they'll slide down all the time. I wait until some decent-looking glasses are on sale, then get an order in before they're sold out.
mtnbiker310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:32 PM   #9
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

There is some history behind this but I will swear by a good pair of Chums worn as a headband.

Yes, it sounds dumb but I have a friend who used to be the sales manager for Chums. As a result he has hundreds of pairs of chums sitting around the house. Over the years we have developed a wide variety of new uses for the eyeglass retainers.

I sweat like a freaking PIG and this seems to work for me... When I stop I take the Chums off and squeeze out the sweat... It has been working for the last 10 years or so.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:50 PM   #10
The Borg

Default Ok...I'll bite

Are you talking about the "Chums" retainers for glasses? What do you do...reverse them and tie them off somehow in the back?

I think they have like...rubber tubing inside them...do you like pass out from loss of blood flow to the brain?

Does it leave like a perma-dent around your head when you finish riding?

Does it eventually turn you into a conehead? ;-)

I guess I need to know how you reverse them and keep it 'on'.

Thanks again.