cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2006, 02:45 AM   #1
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Back from Davis, CA

I've been in Davis since Wednesday evening. My son was swimming in the Junior Olympics and we stayed in a hotel that did not have OLN. I wasn't too worried about it because on the evening I left Landis had cracked and lost 10 minutes. No American had a chance and so I was ok with missing the last week of the tour.

So, I'm sitting in my hotel and I swear I see Landis' name go across the bottom of the screen showing him in 3rd and trailing by only :30. That's impossible though, absolutely impossible. I must have seen it wrong. I call bluegoose and he informs me that I've missed the most exciting stage in the history of the Tour. IN THE HISTORY OF THE TOUR!

Amazing that he pulled off the TDF win. Every article I read on the day after he cracked absolutely dismissed any chance of him winning. I completely wrote him off that day. It certainly has to be considered one of the greatest comebacks in sports history. And of course, I missed it.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:50 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Let me guess - you also left Jack Murphy Stadium in December of 1980 or so with about 5 minutes to go in the game so you could get a jump on traffic, right?

Landis kicked butt. 8 in a row for an American.

As Napoleon Dynamite would say: "Sweet!"

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:23 AM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Steel didn't watch the last quarter of the SMU game, the last game of Dallas Miami Heat series, 1989 Lemond TT or the Lance 2003 TT.

He doesn't care about epic stuff.

BTW, how did the swim meet go?
Old 07-24-2006, 04:34 AM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea

BTW, how did the swim meet go?
I'm really proud of the kid. He's only been swimming a year and a half and he's just starting to qualify for events like the JO's. He came in having just made the cuts and was seeded very low swimming against the best in Norcal. As you know Arch, this is a very strong swimming zone in the USA. Arden Hills dominated as usual. My boy swam to or above all of his seeds and dropped time in all events. He didn't make any finals though (missed one by .5 second). In a strange way I was happy to see him get so upset about it. I like seeing him internally driven. It's a great sport and I'd recommend it to all.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote