cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2006, 02:52 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Workout motivation

What motivates you to work out?

Personal aversion to fatness?

You wife's compliments?

Competitive nature?

all of the above.

Well post here your workout numbers.

Past week, average: cycling 145.8 miles, running 22.2 miles and swimming 8000 meters.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:11 PM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't kept track of the distances that I jog/walk, I just want to fit into my clothes.

Although admittingly, compliments from the other gender does provide boosts of motivation.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:32 PM   #3
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever
Although admittingly, compliments from the other gender does provide boosts of motivation.
You lucky dog, I'm still working at procuring my first compliment. Let me know how you do it.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:49 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

My motivation is remembering being in shape and wanting to get back to that point.

Last week: 85 miles cycling.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:51 PM   #5
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

I've got a few...

1- Pain Reduction: I've never really stopped climbing/biking/backpacking... I have just become slower and it has just gotten more painful.

2- Fear of Death: Pretty much every dead relative met their fate with some sort of diabetes related illness.

3- Vanity: I'm just sick of being 250 lbs and having a gut that makes me look like a pregnant chick.

4- Sanity: Exercise helps with seratonin issues. Anxiety, Depression, etc... are a little easier to control if you're living a more healthy and active lifestyle.

I'm down from 280. I was at 240 but put on a few pounds living with Mom this summer. My goal is to lose another 40 this year.

Eventually it would make me very happy to get under 200 but if I can get down into the 210 - 220 range I'll be a happy man.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:33 PM   #6
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

My motivation is probably mostly overall fitness/mortality and my competitive nature.

Last week, 70 miles bike, running 360 feet (Thats 4 trips around the base pads Thursday night - not much action out in left field last week).
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:13 PM   #7
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Motivation: wanting to stay in the same relative shape as when I was in college and working out 4 hours a day. Thank heavens my metabolism hasn't slowed down yet.
Actually my wife is my greatest motivator, she makes sure I get out there and do something. Plus I am afraid she is going to start beating me is races once she can start working out agian.

Last week: swim: 5400 meters bike 15 miles run: 3 miles but I was recovering from a groin pull and hope to start some real training this week for a race the end of September.
I did go for a short run before work this morning and things felt ok, and I was able to maintain a good pace.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 06:30 PM   #8
mtnbiker310

mtnbiker310

I just like to get out. No competitions, no sprints to the town line. I like being out on the bike (mountain or road) and feeling alive. I think I only biked one day last week, but I did take my son on a 3-day live-aboard scuba trip to Catalina before he goes on his mission next month. We had a blast with sea lions, octopi, horn sharks, angel sharks, barracuda, moray eels, lobster, etc.
mtnbiker310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:24 PM   #9
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Question for you swimmers. I've been putting in some swimming time in the past couple of weeks and this is new for me. I'm a good swimmer, but I have never preferred freestyle. When I pick up the pace in free, I begin to get about a 50/50 mix of air and water on each breath which makes life pretty miserable. Do you who swim a lot (Archae/bigpiney) have the same issue? I just find it really annoying.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:37 PM   #10
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
Question for you swimmers. I've been putting in some swimming time in the past couple of weeks and this is new for me. I'm a good swimmer, but I have never preferred freestyle. When I pick up the pace in free, I begin to get about a 50/50 mix of air and water on each breath which makes life pretty miserable. Do you who swim a lot (Archae/bigpiney) have the same issue? I just find it really annoying.
I don't swim a lot now, but I swim at least twice weekly, sometimes thrice. To answer your question, no. Sometimes water is swallowed inadvertently, but it sounds like improper timing of your breathing. A gentle tip of the head is all that is required to breathe properly.