cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2006, 06:12 PM   #1
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road
Default Son of a B*** Mother F****** Potholes

Stuck in traffic, crappy bike lane, no time to stop, I knew when I hit it I had really screwed something up...

My back wheel is so far out of true that it will not even spin. Even with the brakes all the way loose.

This wouldn't be as big a problem if I weren't out of freaking money...

I'm pretty sure it is far enough out of whack that it can't be salvaged. I would be shocked if the spokes aren't bent.

This blows... I'm out of commission until I can find the funds for a new wheel.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:30 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE
Stuck in traffic, crappy bike lane, no time to stop, I knew when I hit it I had really screwed something up...

My back wheel is so far out of true that it will not even spin. Even with the brakes all the way loose.

This wouldn't be as big a problem if I weren't out of freaking money...

I'm pretty sure it is far enough out of whack that it can't be salvaged. I would be shocked if the spokes aren't bent.

This blows... I'm out of commission until I can find the funds for a new wheel.
After having ranted and raved about getting wheels built by pros let me now say this: If the rim isn't bent, it can stillbe used (and I mean bent at the edge). If it is way out of true, but the edge is not bent, you should be bale to trtue it up enought to make it rideable, it just might not hold a true as well as it should/used to. If you have little cash, buy some new spokes and a spokje wrench and true it yourself. It might not be a great true, and you might need to adjust it for every ride but you should be bale to still ride.

If the rim is bent at the edge, it might be unuseable and might even be unsafe to ridse, so be careful about this.