cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2006, 08:18 PM   #1
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano
Default Help me out

All things being equal, which of the following 2 bikes would you choose?

http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?deptid=4&itemid=265

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ane_record.htm
Quisqueyano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:27 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Hard to say.

I'm not a fan of anything less than ten speed, but I lean toward the Raleigh because of the compact frame.

I'm comparing parts and componetry but it appears fairly equally. I note some FSA parts, some of which may be good.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:33 PM   #3
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
Hard to say.

I'm not a fan of anything less than ten speed, but I lean toward the Raleigh because of the compact frame.

I'm comparing parts and componetry but it appears fairly equally. I note some FSA parts, some of which may be good.

I know what you mean. I need a road bike bad. And Mrs. Q is not being very generous with my allowance.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:36 PM   #4
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisqueyano
I know what you mean. I need a road bike bad. And Mrs. Q is not being very generous with my allowance.
Since when has she consulted you for her allowance. Find money and get what you want. An irritating occurrence results when I buy less than what I can tolerate. I'd rather do without than purchase something which the moment it's acquired I'm planning to replace.

Go for a 1000. With that you can at least get a ten speed.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:43 PM   #5
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

Quote:
Since when has she consulted you for her allowance. Find money and get what you want. An irritating occurrence results when I buy less than what I can tolerate. I'd rather do without than purchase something which the moment it's acquired I'm planning to replace.

Go for a 1000. With that you can at least get a ten speed.

I know you're right. But, I am trying to be fair. I have a hard time spending large amounts of money just on me. Especially knowing that my family has wants and needs too.
So I look for something that isn't what I want, but will suffice. Since I don't plan to race, I just need something that will do the miles. I think the Tiagra is the lowest I can go without tearing the bike apart on my first ride up(or down) AF canyon.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:55 PM   #6
Archaea

Quote:
I know you're right. But, I am trying to be fair. I have a hard time spending large amounts of money just on me. Especially knowing that my family has wants and needs too.
So I look for something that isn't what I want, but will suffice. Since I don't plan to race, I just need something that will do the miles. I think the Tiagra is the lowest I can go without tearing the bike apart on my first ride up(or down) AF canyon.
You're probably doing the wise thing, but who ever accused me of wisdom. My friend once advised me, "if I don't spend it, she will."

Biking is in part psychological. I love my bike. There are better bikes, but when it's flowing and I'm suffering, there' s no better feel.

When I rode my friend's bike, it had a bad seat, one for a female, it was aluminum, and old componetry. It was uncomfortable. I was new to cycling and cheap, but it was not nearly as fun.

Having gearing those change effortlessly is nice, having a range of gears is nice.

Do what's best for you and your family, but 500 bucks ain't much if it's the difference between loving your bike like a woman, and hating as if she's your ugly cousin who narked you out for making out with the cute gal across the street.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:04 PM   #7
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

Quote:
You're probably doing the wise thing, but who ever accused me of wisdom. My friend once advised me, "if I don't spend it, she will."

Biking is in part psychological. I love my bike. There are better bikes, but when it's flowing and I'm suffering, there' s no better feel.

When I rode my friend's bike, it had a bad seat, one for a female, it was aluminum, and old componetry. It was uncomfortable. I was new to cycling and cheap, but it was not nearly as fun.

Having gearing those change effortlessly is nice, having a range of gears is nice.

Do what's best for you and your family, but 500 bucks ain't much if it's the difference between loving your bike like a woman, and hating as if she's your ugly cousin who narked you out for making out with the cute gal across the street.

Not quite sure what to think of that last paragraph. I know my wife will spend the money if I don't. But I feel better about that in the end. Especially considering that she will spend it on things for the house etc.

Back to the subject at hand: I have test ridden the Raleigh. It is comfortable with a triple front ring. Giving me a wide variety or gears (of course I only use the big ring anyway ;-) ). it is a little more expensive. But it is a known.
The other one off Bikesdirect.com is cheaper for what looks like the same thing. But it is unknown. Whith no store to back it up.
So which is the real bargain here?
Old 08-02-2006, 09:48 PM   #8
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you planning on buying the Raliegh from a local shop with which you're familiar? How mcuh is it? If all tings are indeed equal, as you roingially postulated, I would go witht hte local shop.

As to the bikes, I don't see alot of difference, although I haven't had time to really compare the compnents. I would prefer the one I ahd ridden, however, as long as it had fit properly, as opposed to one where I am relying on the representation that the bike 'fits just like a Trek or Fuji."

I am tempted to encourage you strongly to buy from bikesdirect becaseu I want someone to tell me what their experience is like in doing so. OTOH, I would proabbyl not do it myself.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:53 PM   #9
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
Are you planning on buying the Raliegh from a local shop with which you're familiar? How mcuh is it? If all tings are indeed equal, as you roingially postulated, I would go witht hte local shop.

As to the bikes, I don't see alot of difference, although I haven't had time to really compare the compnents. I would prefer the one I ahd ridden, however, as long as it had fit properly, as opposed to one where I am relying on the representation that the bike 'fits just like a Trek or Fuji."

I am tempted to encourage you strongly to buy from bikesdirect becaseu I want someone to tell me what their experience is like in doing so. OTOH, I would proabbyl not do it myself.
I think you are right. As you usually are.
I'll make you a deal, i'll be your guinea pig with bikesdirect for a small commission. say 20% of total price.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:17 PM   #10
Archaea

Quote:
I think you are right. As you usually are.
I'll make you a deal, i'll be your guinea pig with bikesdirect for a small commission. say 20% of total price.
Here's the commission. You let the Creekster and archaea draft off you while you're in an indefinite thirty mile per hour mode, pulling us to our best century times ever.