cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2006, 06:24 PM   #1
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano
Default Creekster, Archea, help please!!!

Is this a good deal? I don't know the Cannondale or the older Shimano stuff very well.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=384769&cat=191&lpid=5
Quisqueyano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:07 PM   #2
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Shimano RSX is now called Tiagra. The deal seems to throw in a new fluid trainer. The trainer alone is worth about $150 new. Seems like a good deal if you are willing to ride Tiagra.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:30 PM   #3
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

I don't mind the Tiagra. it's the fact that it has a 7 gear cassette. It's obsolete. I'm screwed if I need parts.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:33 PM   #4
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisqueyano
Is this a good deal? I don't know the Cannondale or the older Shimano stuff very well.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=384769&cat=191&lpid=5

It is a seven speed, so it is about 1997 or 1998 at the newest. According to Sheldon Brown at harris Cyclery (big inetrnet presence) the 7 speed RSX was limited in the front derailleur to a 46 tooth large chain ring. If so, and I find this hard to believe, I think you might not like it too mcuh.

I would also want more info: Chain ring size? why is the granny ring black and not silver? Was there damage? What version of the Cannie frame? Caad2? This will let you date the bike. In general I like cannie frames ( I own a bunch of them; Archaea doesn't like aluminum, however, so YMMV) and I think the frame is likely to be a good one. WHat hubs are on there? Which Mavic rims are on there?

Once you find out details about the drive train, talk to a local shop and ask if there are any issues for getting parts or if there are any possibilities for incremental upgrades (e.g. will you need to change out the brifters, all derailleurs and chanin at the same time or can you do it in bits).

I think it is a good but not great deal. Truthfully, it soulnds to me like you might be unhappy with the gearing ratio set up. OTOH, it is a good frame and it is a good trainer and if you think you might be able to pop for new components in the future, then it might not be a bad deal.

If it were me, and assuming the additional info I got left me willing to proceed, I would call the guy and offer $400 and see what he says. I probably would not spend more then $550 or $600. Tell the wife it was $675 and upgrade something immediately.

Also, make sure you ride it and like it and that the fit is reasonably good before you commit to buying it. Aluminum frames, esp. Cannies, can have a sort of dead feel that some people really hate. I ilike them, as I said, but you should ride it a bit beofre committing.

Good luck and let me know if you think there is anything else I can do to help.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:38 PM   #5
creekster

Quote:
I don't mind the Tiagra. it's the fact that it has a 7 gear cassette. It's obsolete. I'm screwed if I need parts.
That is a key issue. I would nto be tooafraid of using tiagra or oither lower level compnents. It is true they may not last as long, and it is true that you may need to avoid power shifts while standing and definitely avoid even a hint of cross-chaining, but for the most part, if you treat them well, keep them clean and serviced, they should alst a good long while.

The 7 speed cassette is an issue, however. As I mentioned, I have an old crit frame bike and it is a seven speed cassette. In an accid4ent I choose not to describe in detail due to its rather embarrassing nature, I ended up needing some new parts for this bike. I thought Iwould be hosed. Ebay came to my rescue, however, as I was able to find New Old Stock for everyhting I needed and the bike Looks exactly like it did before the accident. SO there are avenues to address ther aprts issue.

If you could get this bike for $400 (and it fits and is in good coindition) I would buy it.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:48 PM   #6
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

After a few e-mails back and forth, the seller seems about ready to give it away just so he doesn't have it in his garage. Where it has been hanging for 7 years. I may b able to get it for quite a bit less than 400.
I'll keep you posted. And thanks for all the help.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:51 PM   #7
creekster

Quote:
After a few e-mails back and forth, the seller seems about ready to give it away just so he doesn't have it in his garage. Where it has been hanging for 7 years. I may b able to get it for quite a bit less than 400.
I'll keep you posted. And thanks for all the help.

For less than $400 I would buy it (if it fits, etc.) Good luck.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:04 PM   #8
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

He is saying 350 right now.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:09 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

If it gets too bad, can't one just yank the bottom bracket and replace the grupo?

If I wanted something to bang around, I would be tended to scalp cheap replacement parts and learn how to rebuild. It would be an exercise in teaching for me.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:07 PM   #10
creekster

Quote:
He is saying 350 right now.
I'd do it, as long as it fits.