cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 03:30 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rate these race distances

in terms of difficulty, 400 m, 800 m, one mile, 5K, 10K, half marathon, marathon anf 50K.

I have not yet run a 50K.

I'll comment on these.

The 400 m is difficult for me, as I don't have enough speed, but to stay loose through the second 200 is very tough. Cadence and not tightening up is the key.

The 800 m is really hard, that second 400 makes you hate life.

The mile is four 400 meter runs. The third one is the key, as most tend to fade here.

The 5k is a horrid race going out fast and not fading on the middle mile is the key. You gut out the last mile puking after you cross the finish line.

The 10K is a tough race to guage, but all six miles are hard with the last two being gut check time.

The half marathon is fun up until about mile ten, when the work begins. The training is tougher than the race which is a great distance.

The full marathon hurts at mile twenty and a hilly one just beats the crap out of your legs.

The 50K has only been described to me as the tweaner race between the marathon and the fifty miler.

so your comments folks.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:57 PM   #2
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't really have much of an opinion on this topic, but I will say that the half marathon is my favorite distance. You get all the social benefits of a marathon, i.e. mingling with a lot of runners, going to the expo, etc., but just as you're really, really sick and tired of running, the race is over.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:41 PM   #3
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
I don't really have much of an opinion on this topic, but I will say that the half marathon is my favorite distance. You get all the social benefits of a marathon, i.e. mingling with a lot of runners, going to the expo, etc., but just as you're really, really sick and tired of running, the race is over.
I totally agree. Half marathon is my favorite. The training for a half isn't so bad and if you aren't too concerned with your time and you are in good shape, you can do it at a moments notice. This is not so with a full marathon.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:00 PM   #4
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I have not yet run anything longer than a 10k, but I agree that the 800 is a tough race. My high school track coach had me run it a couple times, but I ended up sticking with the 300 hurdles and mile relay.

Anything longer than a marathon sounds horrendous to me.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:08 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

My friend who ran 400, 800, 1600 said that 800 was the toughest. I was orignally a 200 who converted to the 400. So of course I thought the 400 was the worst.

I was one of those wasted talent guys. Quit at a young age because I hated track.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:13 PM   #6
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the 800 is pure hell.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:15 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Here is how a 400 goes:

Start, going through the curve "am I running fast enough?" hit the straightaway, start taking long strides, feeling ok, read the final curve, monkey jumps on the back, legs feel heavy, continue on, start gritting teeth. Final straightaway, complete exhaustion, lose all control and feeling in legs. Legs moving by themselves, too slowy, why am I behind, I suck, can't go faster, done, collapse, dizzy, puke. "why do I do this?" "how come none of the hot track chicks let me hang out with them?" puke again.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:19 PM   #8
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I ran the 800 and 1600 in HS, but was too lazy in my training to actually do anything in them. A couple of times, my coach threw me in the 400 just for points and every time I was on the verge of throwing up when I finished. Of those 3, 400 is definitely the most painful for me.

5K and 10K are fun distances for me now. I hope to do a half marathon next year. Marathon or longer have absolutely no appeal for me.

My FIL is an Ultrarunner and has done the Wasatch 100 a couple of times. After watching his kidneys essentially shut down both years, I realized that not only is ultrarunning no fun, but its just plain stupid.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:46 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
My friend who ran 400, 800, 1600 said that 800 was the toughest. I was orignally a 200 who converted to the 400. So of course I thought the 400 was the worst.

I was one of those wasted talent guys. Quit at a young age because I hated track.
I know that feeling, but compound that feeling to the square and that's how you feel during the 800.

I am a wimp and do not have what it takes to be good at any athletic endeavor, but I enjoy pushing myself a little.

As a result of my triathlon training, I train across the board with 400s up to marathon distance, and each distance provides an interesting challenge. Of course, my 400 is a joke, even compared to what it once was. I do not believe I would do much better than a 69. Speed leaves the body fast.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:51 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I was in the AAU junior olympic 11/12 year old division, national meet. Mile relay, we ran 4:19 I think. Was the winning time. I was anchor.

One of the 11 year olds ended up playing Div I Big12 bbasketball, played pro Europe and is now in the fitness industry. Another 11 year old was a great athlete, probably the best, but things didn't work out for him. The other boy ended up a science nerd like me. he was tall and lanky.

Not saying that is a very good time, but it was a nice accomplishment for a young kid to feel good about.

Point is, we could all beat your 69.