cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2008, 06:54 PM   #51
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
Doesn't calling someone a n----r in jest betray a racist mindset?
Context.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:00 PM   #52
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Doesn't calling someone a n----r in jest betray a racist mindset?
YES! I personally think that calling someone "Non Sequitur" is the most offensive thing you could ever do. What a massive put-down!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:13 PM   #53
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
As far as polygamy versus "sexual relations between husband and wife", as far as I know the church didn't allow 3-somes, 4-somes or 17-somes in polygamous households and that relations were strictly between one man and one woman at any given time.
Dammit. There goes my support for the reinstitution of polygamy.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:14 PM   #54
SoCalCoug

Quote:
Context.
Can't think of any where it would be appropriate.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
Old 08-14-2008, 07:17 PM   #55
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
As far as polygamy versus "sexual relations between husband and wife", as far as I know the church didn't allow 3-somes, 4-somes or 17-somes in polygamous households and that relations were strictly between one man and one woman at any given time.
I hear this one a lot and I think it's a poor argument. Yes, polygamous marriages were between one man and one woman but there's no getting around the fact that while the one woman sits home alone for x nights/week the one man is having sexual relations with a different woman. For the woman in a polygamous marriage, the standard presented in this letter (and quoted below) was NOT met.

Quote:
The Church has a single, undeviating standard of sexual morality: intimate relations are proper only between a husband and a wife united in the bonds of matrimony
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:20 PM   #56
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I hear this one a lot and I think it's a poor argument. Yes, polygamous marriages were between one man and one woman but there's no getting around the fact that while the one woman sits home alone for x nights/week the one man is having sexual relations with a different woman. For the woman in a polygamous marriage, the standard presented in this letter (and quoted below) was NOT met.
It is interesting that the Church itself has historically deviated from the very definition of marriage that it espouses today.

Things change, even in the Gospel.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:21 PM   #57
Indy Coug

Quote:
Can't think of any where it would be appropriate.
Are all terms equal? Does "n-----er" = "fag"? Does jokingly calling someone who is not gay a "fag" the same as calling a gay person a "fag" in order to demean, dehumanize and hurt them? What other terms are off limits? Spic? Wop? Frog? Honky? Mullah?

And if it's OK to use the term "mullah", but not "fag", why? Both terms can be used in the context of demeaning, dehumanizing and hurting a class of people.

Is "mullah" OK because it is directed towards white LDS males who don't have any real crosses to bear in life because they possess all the power and are actively keeping every possible other subclass of member and nonmember alike under their overzealous control?

Where do you draw the line? At what point does some class-ist slur go from acceptable to unacceptable? Is it ever acceptable to use class-ist slurs in jest when the intent is clearly not to demean, dehumanize or hurt?

I think the term "mullah" should be outlawed on this site, for the sake of moral consistency and setting the proper example for all the mullahs on this site that use all the other terms.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:24 PM   #58
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
It is interesting that the Church itself has historically deviated from the very definition of marriage that it espouses today.

Things change, even in the Gospel.
It really is the great irony of this whole "fight". That a church known best for its one time non-traditional definition of marriage now spearheads a movement to preserve the most traditional definition. That the "enemy" now uses many of the same arguments (the non-religious arguments of course) that our forefathers used to defend their right to polygamous marriage.

Last edited by SteelBlue; 08-14-2008 at 10:05 PM.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:25 PM   #59
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
It really is the great irony of this whole "fight". That a church known best for it's one time non-traditional definition of marriage now spearheads a movement to preserve the most traditional definition. That the "enemy" now uses many of the same arguments (the non-religious arguments of course) that our forefathers used to defend their right to polygamous marriage.
The church should just abandon making specific arguments and simply rely on "thus saith the Lord" as their moral authority. People can then read, ponder and pray and get a "thus saith the Lord" of their own.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:26 PM   #60
SoCalCoug

Quote:
Are all terms equal? Does "n-----er" = "fag"? Does jokingly calling someone who is not gay a "fag" the same as calling a gay person a "fag" in order to demean, dehumanize and hurt them? What other terms are off limits? Spic? Wop? Frog? Honky? Mullah?

And if it's OK to use the term "mullah", but not "fag", why? Both terms can be used in the context of demeaning, dehumanizing and hurting a class of people.

Is "mullah" OK because it is directed towards white LDS males who don't have any real crosses to bear in life because they possess all the power and are actively keeping every possible other subclass of member and nonmember alike under their overzealous control?

Where do you draw the line? At what point does some class-ist slur go from acceptable to unacceptable? Is it ever acceptable to use class-ist slurs in jest when the intent is clearly not to demean, dehumanize or hurt?

I think the term "mullah" should be outlawed on this site, for the sake of moral consistency and setting the proper example for all the mullahs on this site that use all the other terms.
Do we call you a "mullah" because of your race or sexual orientation? You don't see the difference? Don't know if there's any way to help you out, then, because there's a fundamental difference in our social paradigms.