cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who is the worst U.S. President ever?
George W. Bush 7 21.88%
Nixon 3 9.38%
Carter 12 37.50%
Harding 5 15.63%
Grant 2 6.25%
Coolidge 1 3.13%
Polk 0 0%
Johnson 0 0%
Clinton 2 6.25%
Wilson 0 0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-21-2007, 09:46 PM   #91
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I think when you are the executive you have to be ready to cut people lose, and anyone who is a political appointment has to understand that they may get axed. Even if its just to mix things up. Even if it is just to help your polls numbers. W should have let Rumsfeld go long ago, same with Gonzalez, if for no other reason than to make them non-issues. He is loyal, I'll give him that.
I think this is a terribly misplaced notion. We can argue about who should have been fired when, but "if for no other reason than to make them non-issues" is the worst reason I can think of. It's like teaching your children that if they scream loud enough in sacrament meeting, it's a free trip to romp around the foyer carefree.

Don't feed the sharks.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:41 AM   #92
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I think this is a terribly misplaced notion. We can argue about who should have been fired when, but "if for no other reason than to make them non-issues" is the worst reason I can think of. It's like teaching your children that if they scream loud enough in sacrament meeting, it's a free trip to romp around the foyer carefree.

Don't feed the sharks.
Yapping dogs is a more appropriate analogy than sharks, because yapping dogs won't shut up no matter what.

Political capital is a rare and rapidly depleted commodity if you expend much of it in defending your underlings (and thereby build up negative capital) then there is little left to do things like pursue your legislative agenda. You know, the thing you were elected to do (or at least GW may have once thought).
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote