cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2008, 01:19 AM   #11
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Tell me you don't want this man leading the free world:

His crowns on 10 and 11 weren't matched very well. Or maybe his teeth have yellowed that much since he got them.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:20 AM   #12
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
I believe their delegate counts were "fined" 50%. Still large numbers at stake there.
Follow-up here are the numbers:
http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P08/R-Alloc.phtml

Note 57 from Florida after the sanction, 40 from Iowa. New Hampshire only 12 after 50% sanction. 30 from Michigan after sanction.

Iowa is not sanctioned because the actual delegate selection doesn't happen today, it formally occurs in June. One can only guess from the description where the assignment of delegates to Presidential contenders actually happens among the caucus, the County, District and State conventions. Here are the rules:
http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P08/IA-R.phtml
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:22 AM   #13
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Seems conventional wisdom was right this time around.

I'd hardly call it "in flames" but it's true the pressure is now on for New Hampshire. I can't believe this party will nominate Huckabee, so if it's not Romney, my next dollar would normally be on Guiliani. Problem there is, Guiliani isn't competing in any of these early states, and he could be in a world of hurt before February 5th.

I will be stunned if the party nominates McCain. It will indicate a fundamental shift of the party away from conservative values.
Huckabee will not win the nomintation. He won't be able to stand the scrutiny. He will take out other candidates with him-- right now, it looks like Thompson, Paul, and Guiliani, and with the results in Iowa, Romney is on the hotseat. If McCain is nominated, it won't be a fundamental shift of its values, it wil be the expression of the ultimate American value: "just win, baby."
Old 01-04-2008, 01:29 AM   #14
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I will be stunned if the party nominates McCain. It will indicate a fundamental shift of the party away from conservative values.
I would take McCain over Huckabee in a second.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:48 AM   #15
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

I just took a peek at CB. Kind of odd to see such universal hatred for a Republican on that board.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:05 AM   #16
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish this guy would come home from Iraq in June, sweep in and take the Republican nomination...

http://www.mnf-iraq.com/index.php?op...d=23&Itemid=16
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:15 AM   #17
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
I wish this guy would come home from Iraq in June, sweep in and take the Republican nomination...

http://www.mnf-iraq.com/index.php?op...d=23&Itemid=16
Well, it does look like we need a saviour. Obama and Clinton are weaker than Kerry and Gore, who, if you can all remember, were beaten by W. Who can we draft?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:24 AM   #18
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I just took a peek at CB. Kind of odd to see such universal hatred for a Republican on that board.
It might even be a good thing for the country. In the time since the dems took congress, many dems have really softened in their partisanship as they came to realize how incompetent their party is, and I bet a lot of Republicans would do the same during a Huckabee administration. The extreme partisanship in this country is one of the things that worries me the most.

Then again, if 8 years of Bush doesn't change anything, (which it largely hasn't) Huckabee probably won't help much either, except among Mormons.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:30 AM   #19
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
The extreme partisanship in this country is one of the things that worries me the most.
Weird. I would have thought the fact that this country, like FARC, is a terrorist organization would have topped your list of worries about it.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:34 AM   #20
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I would take McCain over Huckabee in a second.
As would I. But I'd take Huckabee over Clinton or Obama.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote