cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2008, 02:35 AM   #21
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Wow CB really is off its rocker right now. There is a genuine consensus that Romney lost only because of anti-mormon bigotry. It couldn't possibly have anything to do with Huckabee's superior communication skills, the perception that Romney was trying to buy the state, Romney's excessive mud-slinging, or any of that. Yikes.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:43 AM   #22
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Wow CB really is off its rocker right now. There is a genuine consensus that Romney lost only because of anti-mormon bigotry. It couldn't possibly have anything to do with Huckabee's superior communication skills, the perception that Romney was trying to buy the state, Romney's excessive mud-slinging, or any of that. Yikes.
Am I wrong to think that anti-mormon bigotry did play a part in Romney's difficulties? Especially given that 30% of people say they would not vote for a Mormon. And noting Huckabee's rise after his emphasis on his "Christian" status? Were all those Evangelicals simply motivated by a desire to support Huckabee?

I don't know that it was the primary factor, but I suspect it played a part.

Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:49 AM   #23
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Am I wrong to think that anti-mormon bigotry did play a part in Romney's difficulties? Especially given that 30% of people say they would not vote for a Mormon. And noting Huckabee's rise after his emphasis on his "Christian" status? Were all those Evangelicals simply motivated by a desire to support Huckabee?

I don't know that it was the primary factor, but I suspect it played a part.

Maybe I'm just paranoid.
I think that Romney's Mormonism probably played a role, though I very much doubt it played a 9% role. Still, not voting for someone because you disagree with them about supernatural stuff doesn't seem bigotry any more than not voting for someone because you disagree with them about real stuff.

Huckabee is rare in that he is an all-out fundy. Therefore, the fundies came out in droves to vote for him. CB says this is obviously because they hate Mormons. I guess that means that when Utah gets a bigger than average turnout it means they all hate Christians. Dumb logic.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:01 AM   #24
myboynoah

Quote:
Still, not voting for someone because you disagree with them about supernatural stuff doesn't seem bigotry any more than not voting for someone because you disagree with them about real stuff.
Obviously the world doesn't turn on your conclusions about what is real and what isn't.

Quote:
Huckabee is rare in that he is an all-out fundy. Therefore, the fundies came out in droves to vote for him. CB says this is obviously because they hate Mormons. I guess that means that when Utah gets a bigger than average turnout it means they all hate Christians. Dumb logic.
Show me polling showing that 30% of Utahns will never vote for an Evangelical and that logic won't be that dumb. Show me the countless Mormon websites and "ministries" dedicated specifically to taking down Evangelical belief and that logic won't be that dumb. Show me Mormons that dog Evangelical meetings and get-togethers nationwide and that logic won'd be that dumb.

It had an effect. You've already admitted it. The debate is how much.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:01 AM   #25
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Well, it does look like we need a saviour. Obama and Clinton are weaker than Kerry and Gore, who, if you can all remember, were beaten by W. Who can we draft?
You severely underestimate Obama.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:11 AM   #26
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Where's the beef?

He's just two years removed from the Illinois state senate.

He'll get torn apart in a general election.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:13 AM   #27
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Obviously the world doesn't turn on your conclusions about what is real and what isn't.

Show me polling showing that 30% of Utahns will never vote for an Evangelical and that logic won't be that dumb. Show me the countless Mormon websites and "ministries" dedicated specifically to taking down Evangelical belief and that logic won't be that dumb. Show me Mormons that dog Evangelical meetings and get-togethers nationwide and that logic won'd be that dumb.

It had an effect. You've already admitted it. The debate is how much.
It's obvious and logical from the numbers that 30% equates to much of the 9% ... but hey, I'm not a scientist

Last edited by tooblue; 01-04-2008 at 03:15 AM.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:14 AM   #28
myboynoah

Quote:
Where's the beef?

He's just two years removed from the Illinois state senate.

He'll get torn apart in a general election.
Additionally, I just don't think America is ready to elect a guy named Barack Hussein Obama.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:17 AM   #29
woot

Quote:
Additionally, I just don't think America is ready to elect a guy named Barack Hussein Obama.
Yikes speaking of bigotry... The indication from the polls and today's results is that America wouldn't mind that at all. By America did you mean you personally?
Old 01-04-2008, 03:23 AM   #30
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Perhaps you've overestimated Obama.

No executive experience - either political or business.
No foreign policy experience.
No economic sense.

What qualifies him for the White House?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote