cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2008, 05:43 PM   #1
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I think Eugene Robinson gets it right here

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...d=opinionsbox1

That debate last night was incredible; the animosity was so apparent. This after playing kissing face in Nevada. I don't think they can retreat from this and I suspect the Obama campaign, many of them former Clintonies, will come out swinging, particularly after Hillary's comments that Obama is "frustrated". This is going to be an entertaining two weeks.

Sadly, after the Clintons wrap up the nomination after Super Duper Tuesday, all this will die down.

Maybe McCain will be the best candidate for the Repubs; he'd be happy to put on the gloves and take on both Clintons at the same time.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:56 PM   #2
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...d=opinionsbox1

That debate last night was incredible; the animosity was so apparent. This after playing kissing face in Nevada. I don't think they can retreat from this and I suspect the Obama campaign, many of them former Clintonies, will come out swinging, particularly after Hillary's comments that Obama is "frustrated". This is going to be an entertaining two weeks.

Sadly, after the Clintons wrap up the nomination after Super Duper Tuesday, all this will die down.

Maybe McCain will be the best candidate for the Repubs; he'd be happy to put on the gloves and take on both Clintons at the same time.
What makes you think she will wrap up the nomination after Super Tuesday? I think Obama wins the south and midwest, and is competitive in California (though he will lose there, delegates there and in NY are awarded proportionally for the Dems), and does favorably in western states.

I think Obama takes the nomination, particularly once Edwards' supporters move to him (as I think at least 80% of his supporters do).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
myboynoah

These are the latest polls for Florida, California, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey:

Florida - Clinton 56% Obama 23%
California - Clinton 39% Obama 27%
Pennsylvania - Clinton 40% Obama 20%
New Jersey - Clinton 45% Obama 27%

I could be wrong, but that seems like an awful big hill to climb. I think people want closure and Super Tuesday should give them opportunity for that.

I know you like Obama a lot, but I think the Clintons are doing a good job of making him look like a lightweight. They goad and he responds, which is not the image he banks on; conclusion: politics is indeed a dirty, scrappy business. In a way, they are destroying the imagery that makes him so popular. Obama wants to stay above the fray, bringing people together for the common good. He can't do that if he's constantly swatting at the Clinton flies.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Byron York had an excellent article on why Republicans should fear Obama.

Quote:
I went to Barack Obama’s rally here, on Sunday night, with a Republican friend who had never seen the Illinois senator in action before. Watching the crowd of more than 3,000 fill up the convention center, watching the people send up waves of energy to Obama, and watching him play off that energy in a speech that was one of the best political performances anyone has seen this year, my Republican friend said, simply, “Oh, s—t.” He recalled the scene from Jaws, in which the small seaside town’s sheriff realizes how big the shark he’s tracking truly is, and says, “We’re gonna need a bigger boat.” What my friend didn’t have to say was that he was deeply worried that Republicans just don’t have a bigger boat.
http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...mY2NDVhMDk0Mjg=

The more I'm reminded of why I hate the Clintons the more I want him to win the nomination. At core he seems like a good human being. I'm not certain the same can be said of Hillary.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:45 PM   #5
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
The more I'm reminded of why I hate the Clintons the more I want him to win the nomination. At core he seems like a good human being. I'm not certain the same can be said of Hillary.
Kind of a modern-day Jefferson Smith, but black and not so naive?

Old 01-22-2008, 06:55 PM   #6
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
What makes you think she will wrap up the nomination after Super Tuesday? I think Obama wins the south and midwest, and is competitive in California (though he will lose there, delegates there and in NY are awarded proportionally for the Dems), and does favorably in western states.

I think Obama takes the nomination, particularly once Edwards' supporters move to him (as I think at least 80% of his supporters do).
I think you've got Obama blinders on. I don't think grass roots can beat The Machine. Obama has trended upward lately, but I don't think he'll win Florida, nor win the narrative on Super Tuesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
A good human being he may be, but he's also an empty suit. He needed a few years of seasoning before making this jump.

Spell-binding rhetoric does not necessarily a good President make.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:01 PM   #7
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I think you've got Obama blinders on. I don't think grass roots can beat The Machine. Obama has trended upward lately, but I don't think he'll win Florida, nor win the narrative on Super Tuesday.

A good human being he may be, but he's also an empty suit. He needed a few years of seasoning before making this jump.

Spell-binding rhetoric does not necessarily a good President make.

Who cares about Florida? It is worth 0 delegates (just like Michigan).

California gives you proportional delegates, and Obama isn't going to get creamed there either.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:08 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Edwards playing the spoiler, giving Hillary the nomination.

The GOP nomination is probably dependent on who choose to play spoiler as well (Huckabee and Thompson).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:11 PM   #9
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Who cares about Florida? It is worth 0 delegates (just like Michigan).

California gives you proportional delegates, and Obama isn't going to get creamed there either.
As Romney and the state of Wyoming has learned, delegates are not always what counts at this stage. As you should know, perception in these early contests can have a big influence on later voters.

Rumor has it anyway that an arrangement will be made with excluded states come convention time. We'll see.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 01-22-2008, 07:12 PM   #10
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Edwards playing the spoiler, giving Hillary the nomination.

The GOP nomination is probably dependent on who choose to play spoiler as well (Huckabee and Thompson).
Thompson is out, and I'll be surprised if Huckabee survives Super Tuesday.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young