cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2008, 04:42 PM   #31
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I've always felt more at home in the Republican party because of my aversion to dogma and and dogma's necessary hostility toward reason. I appreciate the frailty of reason, and empiricism, and the necessity of endless dialogue and examination. The irony of the democratic party is that it is hostile to America's nutty homregrown religions precisely because the democratic party is itself a kind of religion. Ironically, the Republican party is more of a big tent. Like all big tents, it houses a lot of people whose beliefs are just plain crazy or wrong. Like all religions, the democratic party tends, if unchecked by secular forces, toward fanatacism.

So now we have a spectarular failure of a Republican president, a man of lifelong low achievement and low intelligence, a pawn of unrealistic idealogues, our Nero if you will, and this election should be easy pickins for the democrats. But what do they do? Like all religions, they overplay their hand. Watch them blow it. Contemptuous of the silent, sensible majority, the democrats are setting themselves up for one of the big political shockers in our history.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:52 PM   #32
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I've always felt more at home in the Republican party because of my aversion to dogma and and dogma's necessary hostility toward reason. I appreciate the frailty of reason, and empiricism, and the necessity of endless dialogue and examination. The irony of the democratic party is that it is hostile to America's nutty homregrown religions precisely because the democratic party is itself a kind of religion. Ironically, the Republican party is more of a big tent. Like all big tents, it houses a lot of people whose beliefs are just plain crazy or wrong. Like all religions, the democratic party tends, if unchecked by secular forces, toward fanatacism.

So now we have a spectarular failure of a Republican president, a man of lifelong low achievement and low intelligence, a pawn of unrealistic idealogues, our Nero if you will, and this election should be easy pickins for the democrats. But what do they do? Like all religions, they overplay their hand. Watch them blow it. Contemptuous of the silent, sensible majority, the democrats are setting themselves up for one of the big political shockers in our history.
We can only hope.

Well said.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:54 PM   #33
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
I am afraid you are right. The Democratic party commits suicide once again. When you let the fringes do the talking you end up with crappy candidates (like John Kerry) and IMO Barack Obama.
How in the world can you argue that Obama is a worse candidate that Clinton in the general?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:57 PM   #34
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
How in the world can you argue that Obama is a worse candidate that Clinton in the general?
Cali, my friend, you need to pick your creed. You can't be both a devout Mormon and a devout democrat.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:00 PM   #35
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Tell us again how Obama will never win Texas.

Hillary is a known factor, Obama isn't.

I never said it was automatic, indeed it is an uphill struggle. McCain is not at all likable. But I don't see Obama as invincible. The electoral college map is not his friend. Also, Obama has never faced the type of salvos he will start to face. His wife's comments are the type of thing that energizes electorates. His church will become an issue, further energizing people to vote against Obama.

I still say high risk.
What do you mean the electoral college map isn't his friend? It is a huge asset for Obama right now. The African American community is voting in droves, and almost universally for Obama. That puts the entire south in play for the Democrats. You win one state in the south, and the entire election could be swayed (given the closeness of previous races). Obama is popular among Democrats, so the blue states should stay blue. He is attracting huge numbers of independents and even moderate Republicans to come over and vote for him. I think he could carry as many as 38-40 states against McCain (unless McCain can find a way to connect with the base, and fast).

McCain has an almost unbeatable opponent if it is Obama (assuming Hillary doesn't scuttle the Democratic ship along the way).
Old 02-20-2008, 05:05 PM   #36
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
What do you mean the electoral college map isn't his friend? It is a huge asset for Obama right now. The African American community is voting in droves, and almost universally for Obama. That puts the entire south in play for the Democrats. You win one state in the south, and the entire election could be swayed (given the closeness of previous races). Obama is popular among Democrats, so the blue states should stay blue. He is attracting huge numbers of independents and even moderate Republicans to come over and vote for him. I think he could carry as many as 38-40 states against McCain (unless McCain can find a way to connect with the base, and fast).

McCain has an almost unbeatable opponent if it is Obama (assuming Hillary doesn't scuttle the Democratic ship along the way).
I hope Dems believe it's unbeatable, just Dewey thought against FDR, with us getting the last laugh.

Bush lost almost universally all black votes and still eeked out a victory. Some of his voting record issues will be open fodder, just you see. The rest of the country is not as liberal as the Democratic Party.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:09 PM   #37
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I hope Dems believe it's unbeatable, just Dewey thought against FDR, with us getting the last laugh.

Bush lost almost universally all black votes and still eeked out a victory. Some of his voting record issues will be open fodder, just you see. The rest of the country is not as liberal as the Democratic Party.
You know who struggles the most in an election about change? The guy who has been in office the longest.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:10 PM   #38
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You know who struggles the most in an election about change? The guy who has been in office the longest.
Good thing the incumbent isn't running.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:12 PM   #39
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You forgot the exclamation points.

"You know who struggles the most in an election about change? The guy who has been in office the longest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:16 PM   #40
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
You forgot the exclamation points.

"You know who struggles the most in an election about change? The guy who has been in office the longest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Ol' Faithful.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...8&postcount=63