cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2008, 01:48 AM   #11
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
Is his pastor completely wrong when he says our nation is controlled by rich white people?
He is when he suggests those same rich white people invented the AIDS virus to kill black people and conspired via the drug trade to put black men into prison.

Is it wrong for the KKK to point out that black men commit a very disproportionate amount of violent crime in America?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:52 AM   #12
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Sooner, are you trying to justify the Reverend Wright's hate?
No. I'm just saying it's a little like going after Mitt Romney over Delbert Stapley.

I do believe that Obama is smarter and more reasonable than his pastor, and I believe Obama when he says that he completely disagrees with some of his pastor's statements.

I disagree with plenty of stuff I hear at Church, and I still attend. Haven't you ever had someone say something atrocious or racist from the pulpit? I admit that it's rare, but it does happen. We have less of a problem with racism than anti-gay bigotry.

Heck, we had a member of our stake presidency say that depression is a direct result of not having the spirit. That's pretty f-ed up, IMO.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:52 AM   #13
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Sooner, are you trying to justify the Reverend Wright's hate?
Minorities can't hate.

Only white males can.

And all of us do. All the time.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:53 AM   #14
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Dems look as if they'll blow it again.
It's possible. Eyebrows were raised even a year ago when it became clear they were choosing between two of the least electable candidates in America. We all know where Hillary sits, and as much as I personally like Mr. Obama, there's no getting around the fact that he's a biracial African-American man with a Muslim middle name, an incredibly liberal voting record, and several skeletons in his closet. If McCain keeps his act together, he could actually pull off what would be regarded as a huge upset for the Republicans. It would certainly help McCain for the war to stay out of the headlines and for the economy to slow its widely perceived tanking, though.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:56 AM   #15
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
Minorities can't hate.

Only white males can.

And all of us do. All the time.
JohnnyLingo=primitive computer program on a loop.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:57 AM   #16
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I actually wonder if Wright and Ferraro aren't using their favorite candidates to try to forward their own personal political agendas. It's certainly clear they each have very passionate feelings about certain issues.

Regarding Obama, it's odd that someone running a campaign around a record of judgment/discretion couldn't possibly have chosen a church with more political liability.

Did you see that Obama is also suggesting he and Hillary just split the FL and MI delegates 50/50. He does realize that that's the same as not seating the delegates at all, right?
Obama has two problems:

1) he is so new on the scene that people are looking to find out what he is all about--that can be dangerous.

2) he thinks he can talk his way out of anything.

On Florida and Michigan, that's the best Obama can hope for. This looks like it is going to turn into a real mess. Odd that Michigan and Florida moved up so they could be more relevant, and by doing so, they did excactly what they planned in a very round about way.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:03 AM   #17
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
How long has he known this bigot? Ten plus years? Sure, politics never came up. Yet the bigot is the first person he thanks after being elected to the Senate.

Puts his wife's statements into perspective.

I think this kills Obama's GE chances because this will not go away. Rasmussen said this morning that his negatives are up to 49%. That's Hillary level.
So McCain will go after Obama because of Obama's minister's statements?

McCain has his own problems with minister supporters.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...=related_story

You are reading into this what you want to see.

Last edited by Cali Coug; 03-16-2008 at 02:06 AM.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:04 AM   #18
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
No. I'm just saying it's a little like going after Mitt Romney over Delbert Stapley.

I do believe that Obama is smarter and more reasonable than his pastor, and I believe Obama when he says that he completely disagrees with some of his pastor's statements.

I disagree with plenty of stuff I hear at Church, and I still attend. Haven't you ever had someone say something atrocious or racist from the pulpit? I admit that it's rare, but it does happen. We have less of a problem with racism than anti-gay bigotry.

Heck, we had a member of our stake presidency say that depression is a direct result of not having the spirit. That's pretty f-ed up, IMO.
Agreed. Heck, all you have to do is read this board to realize that many people here go to church despite totally stupid statements by various church leaders on assorted topics.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:05 AM   #19
myboynoah

Quote:
That's about the worst analogy I've ever seen. Delbert Stapley? What are we talking about here? 60s-70s Mormon views on race?

That's weak koolaid Sooner.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:06 AM   #20
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I only asked because you posted that video of McCain's pastor.

And I usually sleep through church, so I rarely hear anything controversial.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote