cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2008, 02:53 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Obama is not an extremist. Bush is an extremist.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:03 PM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Obama is not an extremist. Bush is an extremist.
Am I speaking to exUte now?

He has the most liberal voting record in the Senate.

He opposes gun ownership.

He wants a new bureaucracy for health insurance and wants universal health care.

He wants unilateral withdrawal from Iraq.

He is not pro-choice, but PRO ABORTION.

He has attended for 20 years a racist church which is down on America and whose pastor believes the US government created AIDS to hurt blacks. His pastor believes the brains of blacks and whites are different.

He doesn't believe taxes are high and wants loads and loads of new costly programs.

On what aspect is he NOT radical?

Bush is simply misguided and wrong-headed, and too liberal. He wanted to please everybody and ended up pleasing nobody.

Last edited by Archaea; 05-07-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #13
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

I'm loathe to post in the politics section, but this thread piqued my interest a bit.

-I know very few people who would vote for a person based solely on their skin color. Anyone claiming Obama will lose a significant portion of votes due to skin color is overstating the affect, IMO.

-Obama is certainly not a middle-leaning Democrat. IMO, his stances on issues appeal to few middle-right voters, and even some middle-left voters will be turned off by him.

-Black people tend to lean Left. 88% of blacks voted for Kerry in 2004. I wouldn't be surprised to see that number rise a bit for Obama. 41% of whites voted for Kerry in '04. I don't think the blacks who vote for Obama solely because he's black (and there will be some, just as there'll be whites who vote against him for that sole reason) will make a large difference in the election.

Perhaps the biggest potential difference that comes about due to Obama being black is the potential for more black voters to actually vote.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:31 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

there is a well-established phenomenon of white people when polled saying they will vote for the black candidate and then voting against the black candidate.

Why? Because they feel social pressure to not say they are against the black candidate. Why would they feel social pressure? Because they believe racism is not socially acceptable, and they are racist.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:40 PM   #15
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
there is a well-established phenomenon of white people when polled saying they will vote for the black candidate and then voting against the black candidate.

Why? Because they feel social pressure to not say they are against the black candidate. Why would they feel social pressure? Because they believe racism is not socially acceptable, and they are racist.
There may be some racism in their selection but you can't deny a black candidate who stays black on the issues also creates some of the problem of failing to transcend his subculture.

For a black candidate to be successful, he must transcend the stereotypes, i.e., he must not be radically liberal, he must avoid racist divisive speech, he must appeal to voters outside his base. Obama does none of this.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:42 PM   #16
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Am I speaking to exUte now?

He has the most liberal voting record in the Senate.

He opposes gun ownership.

He wants a new bureaucracy for health insurance and wants universal health care.

He wants unilateral withdrawal from Iraq.

He is not pro-choice, but PRO ABORTION.

He has attended for 20 years a racist church which is down on America and whose pastor believes the US government created AIDS to hurt blacks. His pastor believes the brains of blacks and whites are different.

He doesn't believe taxes are high and wants loads and loads of new costly programs.

On what aspect is he NOT radical?

Bush is simply misguided and wrong-headed, and too liberal. He wanted to please everybody and ended up pleasing nobody.

LOL, that was my first thought, ex-ute??
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:43 PM   #17
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
There may be some racism in their selection but you can't deny a black candidate who stays black on the issues also creates some of the problem of failing to transcend his subculture.

For a black candidate to be successful, he must transcend the stereotypes, i.e., he must not be radically liberal, he must avoid racist divisive speech, he must appeal to voters outside his base. Obama does none of this.
He was doing okay presenting himself as such until Reverand Wright crawled out of his undersea cave and reared his head (stirreed to life by Obama's enemies?). Wright struck Obama right in his Achilles heal.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:46 PM   #18
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Could it be they just don't like being called a racist even though they aren't. Accuse them of not having the guts to tell those who like to accuse them of being racist to F-off, but they aren't necessarily racists.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:59 PM   #19
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Here's the difference. Blacks have come out strong for white [Democrat] candidates.

Rural whites have never come out for a black candidate [because they are all Democrats].
Edited for clarity.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:28 PM   #20
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Here's the difference. Blacks have come out strong for white candidates.

Rural whites have never come out for a black candidate.
It's a shame there hasn't ever been a solid black candidate. That's why I don't vote for the Independent candidate either; because there has never been a solid option.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote