cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2008, 04:43 AM   #141
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
It was a cheap shot. Both of us know it, so I don't know why you are pretending otherwise. Are you trying to convince yourself? From someone who has spent some time arguing with you, I will let you know that you are probably not going to succeed in persuading yourself.

She was a mayor. Do I know that she "fulfilled the duties?" No, I don't know that. She was apparently almost recalled by the city council due to her attempt to fire the librarian (of all people) for refusing to ban certain books from the city library (is this 1942?). These comments aren't political cheap shots. This woman is standing up to be the vice-president of the US, and she is using her experience as mayor to bolster the argument that she is prepared to be VP. You want to blame the media for not filling us in more on what she did as mayor? Really? Is it the media's fault that she hasn't been available for a single major interview in over a week? It must be. I wish they would just force her to sit down and answer questions. I blame them.

I don't know what she did as mayor. I have tried to look it up. Thus far, I have found that she took the city from a surplus to a $22 million deficit, which I have already discussed in another thread. I have found the job description online (it notes that the position is largely ceremonial and gives few other details, other than the position is part-time). The information isn't out there, and she isnt providing any. She isn't talking to anyone other than supporters at rallies who can't ask questions. Then she says she will tell us about what she did, and instead just takes one of many jabs at the opposition. And you are fine with all of this. Is her time comparable to Obama's time as a community organizer? How do I know? How do you? If it is, Republicans clearly don't think Obama's time as a community organizer is worth anything, so she should hang her hat on something else.

It isn't ok that she is unaware of what the VP does. It is downright embarrassing. It is part of a culture in the US that remains somehow blissfully unaware of the role of the branches of the government and the duties of the officers within the government. The VP has limited official roles under the Constitution. She ought to at least understand those. Cheney has transformed the role of VP under Bush. It would be great if she knew that too.

Do I know as much about her as I do about the other three? No. But it might help if the media (and I blame the media and not the dems, really) would spend some time analyzing her record as governor or even as mayor of tidy little Wasilla rahter than bleat on incessantly about her pregnant daughter. Her lack of experience concerns me, at least in areas of foreign policy. But so does Obamas and his lack of experience will be felt immediately and will not require his running mate's death to start affecting my life. SO it is a bit of a more immediate concern.

You "are certain that prat of the reason is because she simply doesn't have positions on all national issues?" And you are ok with that? I imagine YOU have positions on the major national issues. I certainly do. I definitely expect a serious candidate for the vice-presidency to have positions, rather than to blithely adopt those of someone else for no other reason than the person seems to think you would make a good VP. You aren't helping her cause here. You are putting nails in the coffin.

I honestly thought people cared about issues and policies today. To hear someone like you, who I consider to be intelligent, indicate that you are good enough with Palin's character that you are willing to overlook the void of information available about her positions (not because those positions aren't easily obtainable, but because YOU think she hasn't even formed them yet) and vote for her as part of the McCain ticket is shameful.
"CLUCK! CLUCK! CLUCK! CLUCK! CLUCK!"

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote