cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2006, 04:50 AM   #21
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
You gonna ever answer the question or just keep being smug? I know you enjoy the mind games, but how about taking an honest stab at the question.
No, I'm serious. I'm on the Lord's side. If more people were on the Lord's side we wouldn't have this mess.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:56 AM   #22
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
No, I'm serious. I'm on the Lord's side. If more people were on the Lord's side we wouldn't have this mess.
Agreed, but are you gonna answer the question of why you enjoy/insist on playing Devil's Advocate so much? Especially in a situation where you've literally had war declared on you and your family?

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 08-01-2006 at 05:01 AM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:47 PM   #23
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Waters
Quote:
Agreed, but are you gonna answer the question of why you enjoy/insist on playing Devil's Advocate so much? Especially in a situation where you've literally had war declared on you and your family?
Perhaps Mike has already answered your question, Rocky, but it's not the answer you want to hear?

As for war being declared on us, other than the two attacks on the Twin Towers, the battle is not on US soil. I'm no pacifist - at least not in the political sense - but until we really have to defend ourselves, I believe the counsel of the Lord to "turn the other cheek" is pretty good advice. Should they hit the US again, then it would be time to strike back with a show of force of what they're really up against. Blowing them all up on their soil only pisses off everyone else. Blowing them up on US soil gives the rest of the world no reason to be upset - though many probably will still be.

There are no simple answers to the mess in the Middle East.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:28 PM   #24
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quite frankly....we all know the whole world will be at war before Christ returns, and that one-third of the population will be killed.

It's inevitable.

I say let's get it over with and rush in the millennium. I for one would rather live in the terrestrial millennium twenty years from now, rather than thirty.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:46 PM   #25
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Hezbollah and other terrorist groups are evil. No question about it. It is scary. But Rocky, you talk about the terrorist groups declaring war on the U.S...yes, it is easy to say but if you view it from these groups, they believe that the U.S. has declared war on them. It is all a matter of perception. The U.S. at war with Iraq is viewed very differently: From the US perspective, we are trying to stop an evil man. From many in the Arab world, they view it as the U.S. putting their noses and their guns on one of their countries.

I don't have any answers. I will not defend the terrorists. Nobody should. But I am also willing to accept that the U.S. is often a bully in situations that it does not need to be in. Terrorism needs to be stopped...but often the U.S. enflames it with its policies and its take it to them attitude. Bush summed it up by saying 'You are for us or against us' and there is no middle ground or no understanding of the gray areas.

We are quick to condemn those that are fighting Israel though we do so without realizing that Israel is not at all blameless. I am not defending terrorists or terrorism. The Israeli--radical element battles have raged for hundreds of years and both sides have made mistakes and errors.

No question, I am on Israel's side. But Israel has a lot of faults and has made a lot of historical mistakes. Israel is hated and Israel hates and sadly, this will continue on for decades and decades.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:15 PM   #26
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever
Quite frankly....we all know the whole world will be at war before Christ returns, and that one-third of the population will be killed.

It's inevitable.

I say let's get it over with and rush in the millennium. I for one would rather live in the terrestrial millennium twenty years from now, rather than thirty.
I'm pretty sure your post was TIC, but it worries when I think that people on both sides of the conflict hold an apocalyptic world view. The decision to begin WWIII is much easier to make when people believe they are merely fulfilling prophesy. I think I'd sleep easier at night if all our political leaders were atheists.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:33 PM   #27
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
I'm pretty sure your post was TIC, but it worries when I think that people on both sides of the conflict hold an apocalyptic world view. The decision to begin WWIII is much easier to make when people believe they are merely fulfilling prophesy. I think I'd sleep easier at night if all our political leaders were atheists.
its also a lot easier when the conflagration is likely to take place "over there" injstead of here in our front yard. I don't want atheists, but adherence to christian principles would e good.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:20 PM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

one thing I have to hand to 187_skillz.

He puts his money where his mouth is. He tacitly approves genocide, and he chooses to be in the military, to put himself in harms way.

A lot of people around here talk big, but I don't see them going out and trying to actually take it to the enemy.

I read about a woman in Arizona, 41 years old, just enlisted.

Last edited by MikeWaters; 08-01-2006 at 07:22 PM.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:33 PM   #29
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Do you have to go fight anybody who tries to pick a fight with you?

I honestly believe that this struggle will not end until one side shows that it means not to fight. The only way to effectively show this disposition is by your own blood-- the Ammonites come to mind.

You ask who's side he is on. Is it wrong to say that, even though he is an American loyal to his country, that he wants peace for the sake of his brothers on the other side of the line?
Old 08-01-2006, 07:49 PM   #30
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
You guys talk like everything is going so poorly.

Syria was forced to withdraw from Lebanon. Libya has made amends with the West and seeks greater integration. Egypt is more worried about Palestinian refugees than they care about Israel. Iraq has a fledgling democracy. Until the mullahs cracked down recently, Iran was on a path to greater liberalization. Pakistan continues to cooperate with us (at least not openly oppose us). Millions of Muslims live peacefully in the United States. Millions more in Indonesia.

Yes, we have some bad players. We have some bad religious leaders. We have people that adhere to this craziness. So what should we do about it?

"I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE SHOULD DO, BUT MAN, I'M CALLING YOU OUT, BECAUSE YOU'RE A SATANIC RADICAL ISLAM-LOVER, WHO SUPPORTS MURDER AND TERROR"

sorry, I'm done with that conversation.
So basically you just pussed out on answering the question. Buck up Mike.