cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2007, 04:46 AM   #101
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It's a pet peeve of mine that liberal Dems have coopted that terms, whereas my family would never be considered a liberal Democratic family, yet we work hard to contribute to local charities in both time and money. My wife alone donates close to 25 hours per week on charities, and we donate significant income for us. But because we're not Dems, we're not compassionate. (PS I'm not asking for any commendation as the work for charities is compensation enough, but the "compassionate" society is pure BS IMHO).

I don't listen to Limbaugh or Hannity so I wouldn't recognize the quote.
Politicians always hijack terms and ideas. This is nothing new. The Republicans have somehow gotten the reputation of "making America safer". Cheney went as far as guaranteeing that the US would suffer a major attack if Kerry were to be elected. Politicians are for the most part the same. They all tell us what they think we want to hear and then do what they want once they are elected.

On compassion...My comments were TIC. I think that compassion is a personal trait not tied to a political party. My beliefs are that charity should be left to churches and private organizations. Government screws up nearly everything it touches. Other beliefs are as follows:
1. It's not the governments job to educate your child.
2. Consenting adults should be able to have sex in any way they both agree to. If someone gets paid to have sex, good for them.
3. Drugs should be legal. It's my body so I can do what I want to it. If I choose to take drugs and ruin my life, it's not the governments job to take care of me. The FDA is a joke.
4. Income tax should be abolished. I prefer consumer based taxes.
5. If a crime has no victim, there should be no law against the behavour.
6. Free trade.
7. I hate the U.N.
8. Diplomatic immunity need to be abolished.
9. Abolish most or all of our gun laws
10. The Fiat currency system is evil.

Unfortunately, Americans in general love to say they love freedom, but actually love to have others tell them what to do. Both parties couldn't care less about the citizens. So, honestly, I don't think it matters who wins the election. We are going down in flames regardless.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:13 AM   #102
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
10. The Fiat currency system is evil.
What's that?
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:39 AM   #103
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
What's that?
It means we aren't on the gold standard any more. Libertarians and John Birchers work themselves up into a lather about the gold standard but gold is itself an arbitrary measure of value. It's tough for the John Bircher nuts to find any well-respected modern economists to agree with them about the gold standard. I generally think their arguments against fiat money are based on uneducated fear-mongering rhetoric.

NOTE: I do agree with Libertarian arguments on certain other subjects - just not on their obsession over the gold standard.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:57 AM   #104
BlueHair

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
It means we aren't on the gold standard any more. Libertarians and John Birchers work themselves up into a lather about the gold standard but gold is itself an arbitrary measure of value. It's tough for the Libertarians to find any well-respected modern economists to agree with them about the gold standard. I generally think their arguments against fiat money are based on uneducated fear-mongering rhetoric.

NOTE: I do agree with Libertarian arguments on certain other subjects - just not on their obsession over the gold standard.
I can't understand why people aren't concerned with printing money that has no real value. It is true precious metals fluctuate in price, but the fluctuation is more of an indication of the strength (or lack thereof) of the dollar. People buy gold when they are lose confidence in the dollar. Since the dollar has no value (except your confidence in the government to honor the note) it has to fall if we lose confidence. Inflation (the weakening of the dollar caused mostly by printing too much money) hurts the poor and middle class much more than the rich. Poor people aren't able to diversify. The purchasing power of their meager income is greatly diminished. Most people worry about a politician's tax policies. I'm much more worried about inflation. Why we allow the government to write bum checks is beyond me.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:00 AM   #105
BlueHair

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
It means we aren't on the gold standard any more. Libertarians and John Birchers work themselves up into a lather about the gold standard but gold is itself an arbitrary measure of value. It's tough for the John Bircher nuts to find any well-respected modern economists to agree with them about the gold standard. I generally think their arguments against fiat money are based on uneducated fear-mongering rhetoric.

I hope I'm not being confused with a Bircher. I was raised in a cult, I wouldn't be foolish enough to join another one willingly.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:26 PM   #106
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
I hope I'm not being confused with a Bircher. I was raised in a cult, I wouldn't be foolish enough to join another one willingly.
BlueHair, I was wondering if you've been watching the Republican debates and what you thought of Ron Paul's presence. Especially in the second debate, the moderators were really harsh with him, implying that he's not a Republican and should not be seeking the nomination. He nearly got shouted off the stage when he suggested that our overly-interventionist policy set the stage for 9/11. It's true that he's extreme, but I think it's unfortunate that his notions of return-to-limited-government are being received this way by the party.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 03:31 PM   #107
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

This poll came out the 17th. You can see the entire thing at http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/...elease_web.pdf

It was sponsored by FoxNews but conducted by Opinion dynamics. The poll has all kinds of good questions.

look at this number on Hillary. 55% of Americans (76% of Republicans) think she'll say whatever she has to in order to win the nomination. The other candidates are in the 20s and low 30s.

Last edited by BarbaraGordon; 09-02-2011 at 01:21 AM.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:02 PM   #108
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I would love to have been a fly on the wall when Mr. and Mrs. Clinton discussed those poll results.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:40 AM   #109
BlueHair

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
BlueHair, I was wondering if you've been watching the Republican debates and what you thought of Ron Paul's presence. Especially in the second debate, the moderators were really harsh with him, implying that he's not a Republican and should not be seeking the nomination. He nearly got shouted off the stage when he suggested that our overly-interventionist policy set the stage for 9/11. It's true that he's extreme, but I think it's unfortunate that his notions of return-to-limited-government are being received this way by the party.
I haven't seen any of the debates. My wife and I have 70+ hours of Tivo we've been trying to catch up on the past few months. Paul sounds like an interesting character though. You've sparked my interest. I'm going to read up on him in the next couple of days.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:33 PM   #110
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
...with Tony Blair stepping down next month (a hunch)...
Let the record show that I am a prophet. I predicted Blair's resignation three months before his announcement.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote