cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 03:56 AM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

actually, I am willing to perform it on any proponent of its use.

Archaea? Tex? ExUte?

I think, after going through it, you would have a very informed opinion of whether it is in fact torture.

I'm convinced it is torture. I can also tell you that drowning is not pleasant. I came within a inch of drowning once in a river. I know what it feels like to see the surface and not be able to reach it. (Thank you Brother Fenn for saving my life).

So I'm pretty confident that the feeling of drowning over and over, hour after hour, day after day is torture.

I know Cheney doesn't think so (he has said this publicly), but I trust myself more than Cheney.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:01 AM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

another reason to hold a demonstration like this is the publicity. I think this could possibly be national news, if you played it right.

we could go on a "anti-torture torture tour". The AT&TT.

I would love to waterboard Hannity and Rush. That would be great fun. If we could find a board strong enough to support Rush, that is.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:10 AM   #13
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't even know what it was, how could I be a proponent thereof?

I suppose the distinction "proponents" make of it, is not actually placing the victim in harm's way, only the belief is necessary to cause the desired result, i.e., disclosure of information.

So is psychologically attacking the interrogee, but not actually placing the person in physical harm torture or not?

A person subjected to the tactic would find it psychologically akin to torture, but intellectually is it torture if no physical harm actually results?

Mike has arrived at his answer, and I suppose Snipe his, but the rest of us may not have considered this point of view before.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:17 AM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

who says no physical harm has occurred? You make a false assumption.

Ingestion of too much water can kill, for example.

Not to mention the physical stress placed on the heart. Or the effects of partial asphyxiation.

But you bring up a great point--if believe is necessary to make this torture, then it ABSOLUTELY would have NO potential for torture in my proposed demonstration. Because the person would know exactly what was going to happen. And that measures would be taken to ensure they wouldn't die.

If I were to waterboard Snipe for an hour (which may be excessive given his fitness and habitus), what sort of premium would an insurance company demand, to be paid out on his death during the event.

Do you think that it would be pittance (no chance of death)? For partially suffocating a man for let's say, 72 hours straight? Or even 1 hour?

Don't fool yourself thinking this is just "psychological."

Don't you think placing someone in a sensory deprivation chamber would be torture? Even though you might argue that there is no "physical harm"?

When you think about it, your argument is absurd.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:44 AM   #15
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
who says no physical harm has occurred? You make a false assumption.

Ingestion of too much water can kill, for example.

Not to mention the physical stress placed on the heart. Or the effects of partial asphyxiation.

But you bring up a great point--if believe is necessary to make this torture, then it ABSOLUTELY would have NO potential for torture in my proposed demonstration. Because the person would know exactly what was going to happen. And that measures would be taken to ensure they wouldn't die.

If I were to waterboard Snipe for an hour (which may be excessive given his fitness and habitus), what sort of premium would an insurance company demand, to be paid out on his death during the event.

Do you think that it would be pittance (no chance of death)? For partially suffocating a man for let's say, 72 hours straight? Or even 1 hour?

Don't fool yourself thinking this is just "psychological."

Don't you think placing someone in a sensory deprivation chamber would be torture? Even though you might argue that there is no "physical harm"?

When you think about it, your argument is absurd.
Don't go menstral on Mike.

I was using the concept as a thought experiement. I wasn't actually analyzing the medical aspects of the practice, but was viewing as a nonphysician. You have the benefit of seeing it as a physician, I do not.

And this issue is extremely emotional for you, more so than for most. I'm convinced not to use torture, because current evidence shows it ineffectual. That's all I need to know.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:45 AM   #16
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Mike, what are you doing to stop this torture?

I ask this because complaining about it on message boards will not help end the practice.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:55 AM   #17
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Mike, I'll donate my time to write the release we'll make Snipe sign so if he becomes incapacitated or dies his heirs can't sue you or CG.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:27 AM   #18
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
With apologies to Gary Larson:

What MikeWaters says:

What we hear:
Now that's actually kinda funny.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:27 AM   #19
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

I would pay $100 to watch and consider it some of the best money I have ever spent.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 06:30 AM   #20
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP
Default I still don't get the anti-torture movement

Clearly there are scenarios when torture is reasonable. If I knew torture would save 1 million innocent lives in exchange for the suffering of a single murdering rapist, the decision to torture wouldn't be difficult to make.
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote