cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-24-2008, 08:25 PM   #1
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road
Default another case in point against homeschooling?

A family in my ward homeschools, and last week I heard one of the children (age 10) loudly telling another child that Native Americans really aren't native because they had to come from somewhere else first, so if they are native, then so are white people. Now I take his point that it might not be the best possible name (and indeed, I'm not even sure it's the correct name any more). But what bothered me about it was his attitude, which seemed to be very dismissive of the cultural heritage that name seeks to protect.

The 8 yo child from that family is one of my Primary students and yesterday we were talking about the Holy Land on a map, and I was saying how there are many different faiths that consider the land to be holy for different reasons. So the 8 yo homeschool student suddenly starts to loudly correct me for calling Muslims by that name. He said something like Muslims are the same as Jews, and you shouldn't call them that. I think I said something like "okay, that's not right" and changed the subject. I have no idea what he was talking about.

But I came close to talking to his mother about it last night when I ran into her. Beacuse what is going on in that "HOME SCHOOL"? I chose not to, though. I didn't think it was likely to end well.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote