cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2008, 04:29 PM   #11
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Georgia has the #1 SOS.

1.2 What is the basic algorithm for calculating Real-time RPIs? A team's RPI is a sum of three values: 25% of the team's winning percentage, 50% of its opponents' average winning percentage (strength of schedule), and 25% of its opponents' opponents' average winning percentage (opponents' strength of schedule). Only results against teams which are in NCAA Division I are counted in all of these winning percentages.

RPI is a terrible way to rate teams--both BB and FB. I have an RPI query, and my results go.

1. Boise St
2. Va Tech
3. Utah
4. OK
5. Georgia

But I may still be using the old RPI formula in my football database.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:29 PM   #12
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
How can a computer rank Georgia #1 after their woodshed beating by Alabama?
There's also a poll that has Utah at #1. There are problems with every computer methodology in there, especially this early in the season, which is why I think the aggregate of a whole lot of them is more interesting than any single poll alone.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:30 PM   #13
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
There's also a poll that has Utah at #1. There are problems with every computer methodology in there, especially this early in the season, which is why I think the aggregate of a whole lot of them is more interesting than any single poll alone.
I agree with this. And I would put a computer poll average against any other ranking system, with the possible exception of Vegas oddsmakers.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:37 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I agree with this. And I would put a computer poll average against any other ranking system, with the possible exception of Vegas oddsmakers.
See that is where you lose me. "I think computers are better except for when a couple guys are really good guessers."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:41 PM   #15
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYUsportsguy View Post

I guess it's interesting, but only something to get excited about if you're a Ute fan, so I can understand SU's motives here.
Hey, I haven't been the one here blathering about "Invisible hand!" "We're going tot he NC!" God's making it happen for us like magic!"

Except in parody.

The problem was everyone including Il Padrino was annointing BYU the next NC based on a shutout of Wyoming. (One thing BM does do well is RUTS against hideous opponents.) These polls are more meaningful than all the exuberance we've seen here the past few days. Just a little reminder of reality.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:43 PM   #16
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
See that is where you lose me. "I think computers are better except for when a couple guys are really good guessers."
If you set up a computer to rank like Vegas oddsmakers, they'd probably be the best for them, too. In fact, that's likely how Vegas oddsmakers are doing it.

It's not fair when doing rankings that affect post season honors to program into a computer to ignore games where a player was hurt, or to factor in a midseason personnel change, or keep a preseason bias factor, etc.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:45 PM   #17
jay santos

Quote:
Also, think of it like chess. A computer can beat all but a few human players.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:45 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
If you set up a computer to rank like Vegas oddsmakers, they'd probably be the best for them, too. In fact, that's likely how Vegas oddsmakers are doing it.

It's not fair when doing rankings that affect post season honors to program into a computer to ignore games where a player was hurt, or to factor in a midseason personnel change, or keep a preseason bias factor, etc.
No, the Vegas oddmakers do NOT use computer to set a starting line.

It's based on what they know of the teams, and the expectations and psychology.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:46 PM   #19
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
(One thing BM does do well is RUTS against hideous opponents.)
With a single onside kick, Whitt took all rights away from Utah fans to complain about RUTS. Save it.

Max has played a total of 5 quarters in the last two games. What, pray tell, should Bronco have done against either of the "hideous opponents" we shut out? Taken Hall out at the half? The first quarter? Maybe not played him at all? Maybe we should've played ten guys (that's one less than you're allowed, by the way)?
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:46 PM   #20
jay santos

Quote:
No, the Vegas oddmakers do NOT use computer to set a starting line.

It's based on what they know of the teams, and the expectations and psychology.
FAIL