cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 04:05 AM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Elders in England

A companionship got the crap kicked out of them by a group of 14 kids. I wonder how often this happens.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/displ..._attackers.php
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:28 AM   #2
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Man, the swedish elder looked especially bad. I hope they gave as good as they got or at least went down swinging. If I were attacked, I would at least try to give as good as I got.

I never got attacked but once a group of drunk Filipinos were threatening my comp and I. I happened to be holding an empty 7-Up bottle in my hand so I brandished it by the neck and stood my ground. The drunks backed off. I was 6' 1" and 135 pounds at the time so I'm sure the drunks could have "messed me up good cowboy" but I would've tried to go down swinging.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:37 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
A companionship got the crap kicked out of them by a group of 14 kids. I wonder how often this happens.

A friend of mine served in St. Louis and he and his companion were jumped and beaten by a group of kids in East St. Louis. They fought back best they could, but being outnumbered they didn't fare too well. Unlike in the story you posted, my friend and his comp were not assisted by anyone, though several saw what was going on.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:41 AM   #4
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post

They weren't grateful for the help from the patrons of the pub where they got help?

Mr Herrey, who is from Gothenburg, Sweden, and Mr Woolsey, from Utah, in the USA, ended up spending a night in the Royal Bolton Hospital after they were confronted by the teenagers and chased more than 500 metres before getting help from people at the Lord Raglan pub.

Both the victims say they are grateful for the help they have received from the hospital, police and their church, and they have vowed to continue their missionary work in the town.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:46 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

I couldn't help myself in searching more. The Swedish Elder is the son of one of the Swedish Osmonds. Here is their '84 Eurovision Song Contest:

Will we soon see a Heleman Halls production of it?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:46 AM   #6
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
They weren't grateful for the help from the patrons of the pub where they got help?

Mr Herrey, who is from Gothenburg, Sweden, and Mr Woolsey, from Utah, in the USA, ended up spending a night in the Royal Bolton Hospital after they were confronted by the teenagers and chased more than 500 metres before getting help from people at the Lord Raglan pub.

Both the victims say they are grateful for the help they have received from the hospital, police and their church, and they have vowed to continue their missionary work in the town.
They didn't write the article but judging by the forgiving tone they portrayed, it wouldn't be a stretch to assume that they were grateful to the pub patrons.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:05 AM   #7
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I couldn't help myself in searching more. The Swedish Elder is the son of one of the Swedish Osmonds. Here is their '84 Eurovision Song Contest:

Tone deaf never sounded so good.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:00 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Tone deaf never sounded so good.
Nice.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:27 PM   #9
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post

I love Eurovision; a total freak show. Is it broadcast here? It is especially good when broadcast from one of the Eastern European countries. Think SNL's Steve Martin and Dan Akroyd as the wild and crazy guys, but for real. The deliberate, loud English (they must figure we all understand them better if they crank it up a few decibels). BBC would always cover it and have a running commentary on the acts and the hosts. Absolutely hilarious.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote