cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies

Old 02-26-2013, 09:33 PM   #21
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Dehlin encourages people who leave the church to idolize Bob McCue as a way to find closure.
citation?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #22
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
citation?
Quote:
Now there are, many, many LDS folk who have traveled down the path you are now on — you can take solace in the fact that some of them might be able/willing to help you through the journey. Some are still fully active and believing (like Richard Bushman, Kevin Barney, Jeff Lindsay or Mike Ash). Some are semi-active and/or semi-believing in the church (like the folks at StayLDS.com). Some are inactive. Some have joined or started other churches (like Shawn McCraney) and some are no longer members (like Bob McCue). All of those paths are possible for each of us — and each path will have its plusses and minuses for you, individually. Regardless, I strongly suggest over the coming months and years that you find some mentors who will listen and help you see all the options that are unfolding ahead.
http://mormonstories.org/for-those-w...-the-struggle/
Old 02-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #23
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

He talks to them as if they are a bunch of whiny children with no ability to cope with a life choice change. Very pedantic if you ask me.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

It occurs to me that Dehlin's views may be warped by the position he occupies. In addition to the podcasts he has done, he has probably had additional private conversations and email interactions with untold numbers of persons who express doubts, uncertainly, unhappiness with the church. Perhaps hundreds of people. He has also probably had hundreds (thousands?) of people thank him for what he does.

After years of that kind of thing, pretty soon you start seeing the Mormon world via the eyes of the people who surround you. You start to inflate your own importance. You start tilting at windmills. You feel like more of a target as you enter the spotlight. You become more defensive, aggrieved. Maybe even more emboldened. "No one else is saying this, I didn't really mean to end up here, but here I am. I'm a good person. I'm honest. Thus my enemies must not be good people, nor honest."

And that's how Dehlin winds up roasting marshmallows with apostate Mormons talking about how he has shepherded many more people out of the church than he has kept in the church.

His context is warped, and I'm afraid, it is has led to his views being warped as well.

This is perhaps a generous take on Dehlin. The truth might not be so generous.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:55 PM   #25
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It occurs to me that Dehlin's views may be warped by the position he occupies. In addition to the podcasts he has done, he has probably had additional private conversations and email interactions with untold numbers of persons who express doubts, uncertainly, unhappiness with the church. Perhaps hundreds of people. He has also probably had hundreds (thousands?) of people thank him for what he does.

After years of that kind of thing, pretty soon you start seeing the Mormon world via the eyes of the people who surround you. You start to inflate your own importance. You start tilting at windmills. You feel like more of a target as you enter the spotlight. You become more defensive, aggrieved. Maybe even more emboldened. "No one else is saying this, I didn't really mean to end up here, but here I am. I'm a good person. I'm honest. Thus my enemies must not be good people, nor honest."

And that's how Dehlin winds up roasting marshmallows with apostate Mormons talking about how he has shepherded many more people out of the church than he has kept in the church.

His context is warped, and I'm afraid, it is has led to his views being warped as well.

This is perhaps a generous take on Dehlin. The truth might not be so generous.
You're being charitable.

Dehlin is just a dipshit.

Seattle Ute is honest in that he didn't believe and left it at that.

Dehlin makes unbelief or disbelief a Holy Crusade.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:26 AM   #26
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

So I just learned that since Dehlin declared that he is active again, and that he is much happier as an active member, donations to Mormon Stories plummeted. We can draw two inferences:

(1) John is moving in the right direction.
(2) Anti-'s knew that Mormon Stories is a faith-killer for many and were fuelling is efforts.