cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2008, 10:26 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Popping the Neuweasel balloon

would be so much fun.

My thoughts:

1. We will not be able to run on UCLA like we did UW, at least at the beginning of the game.
2. Hopefully the altitude will be a factor, esp. in the trenches as the game goes on.
3. Max will need a good game.
4. Please, can we get some defensive takeaways? No turnovers for UCLA, and turnovers for us, UCLA wins.
5. I'm having a hard time imagining losing to that Craft boy. Or put differently, I can't imagine losing to a SDSU-led team. But who knows.
6. Santiago needs to step up.
7. We may find out how bad our placekicking is.
8. Just for kicks, I am predicting a Chambers runback.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:53 AM   #2
Jim Swarthout

Jim Swarthout is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
would be so much fun.

I think there is a better chance of Chambers getting a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:46 PM   #3
Mars

Mars is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
1. We will not be able to run on UCLA like we did UW, at least at the beginning of the game.
2. Hopefully the altitude will be a factor, esp. in the trenches as the game goes on.
4. Please, can we get some defensive takeaways? No turnovers for UCLA, and turnovers for us, UCLA wins.
5. I'm having a hard time imagining losing to that Craft boy. Or put differently, I can't imagine losing to a SDSU-led team. But who knows.
My take:

UCLA has the best defense BYU will have faced yet, by far. BYU's offense, on the other hand, is much better than Tennessee's, thanks to our excellent Quarterback play, and the Vols put up 24 on the Bruins. Our O-Line is very strong, not having given up a sack yet this season, but the UCLA D-Line is not only powerful but also extremely aggressive. I'm predicting 5 sacks given up by the Cougars, including a blind-side hit for a fumble. UCLA will also once again almost completely take away BYU's running game, keeping us to less than 100 on the ground. The Bruin DBs appear to be solid, and for the most part will take away Collie and Reed deep, and limit them along the sidelines in the short and mid-range game. But their linebackers are a little slow and have shown poor tackling skills. This will be The Dennis Pitta Show yet again (with some Andrew George mixed in for luck), with consistent big gains across the middle. UCLA's gang-tackling necessity will add 5-YAC to every touch our TEs get. Yet, BYU scored only 17 points against UCLA each of the last TWO times we played them. We should score more than that this time around. Don't expect us to attempt many (if any) field goals though. Do expect a RB fumble, and 2 interceptions due to forced or bobbled passes. And some decent kick returns.

BYU's kick and punt teams will be "up" this game, helping give UCLA long fields to have to drive. UCLA's O-Line isn't as good as Washington's, so don't expect the Bruins to have much of a run game either (also less than 100 yards). BYU could get 3 sacks in on Craft here. But Craft can pass pretty well once he starts to get warm (2 interceptions will come before that point, I expect), and his receivers shouldn't drop the ball. They also shouldn't have too much difficulty getting behind our DBs. No, I don't think BYU's defense is as good as Tennessee's, and UCLA put up 27 points on the Vols. I'm not sure they can best that in Provo though, as they scored 27 on us in L.A. and just 16 in Vegas. I'm trying not to overestimate the home-field advantage; if anything, I'm underestimating its affect on the outcome of the game.

Final Score Prediction?
BYU 21
UCLA 24
Old 09-10-2008, 05:32 PM   #4
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
My take:

UCLA has the best defense BYU will have faced yet, by far. BYU's offense, on the other hand, is much better than Tennessee's, thanks to our excellent Quarterback play, and the Vols put up 24 on the Bruins. Our O-Line is very strong, not having given up a sack yet this season, but the UCLA D-Line is not only powerful but also extremely aggressive. I'm predicting 5 sacks given up by the Cougars, including a blind-side hit for a fumble. UCLA will also once again almost completely take away BYU's running game, keeping us to less than 100 on the ground. The Bruin DBs appear to be solid, and for the most part will take away Collie and Reed deep, and limit them along the sidelines in the short and mid-range game. But their linebackers are a little slow and have shown poor tackling skills. This will be The Dennis Pitta Show yet again (with some Andrew George mixed in for luck), with consistent big gains across the middle. UCLA's gang-tackling necessity will add 5-YAC to every touch our TEs get. Yet, BYU scored only 17 points against UCLA each of the last TWO times we played them. We should score more than that this time around. Don't expect us to attempt many (if any) field goals though. Do expect a RB fumble, and 2 interceptions due to forced or bobbled passes. And some decent kick returns.

BYU's kick and punt teams will be "up" this game, helping give UCLA long fields to have to drive. UCLA's O-Line isn't as good as Washington's, so don't expect the Bruins to have much of a run game either (also less than 100 yards). BYU could get 3 sacks in on Craft here. But Craft can pass pretty well once he starts to get warm (2 interceptions will come before that point, I expect), and his receivers shouldn't drop the ball. They also shouldn't have too much difficulty getting behind our DBs. No, I don't think BYU's defense is as good as Tennessee's, and UCLA put up 27 points on the Vols. I'm not sure they can best that in Provo though, as they scored 27 on us in L.A. and just 16 in Vegas. I'm trying not to overestimate the home-field advantage; if anything, I'm underestimating its affect on the outcome of the game.

Final Score Prediction?
BYU 21
UCLA 24
Do expect a RB fumble & two INTs? From a RB who's shown little tendency to fumble, and a QB who's thrown very few INT's since game 6 last year (Hall had 8 Interceptions through 6 games, and has thrown all of 5 in the 9 games since).

Sure, it could happen, but I'd be surprised.

If UCLA wins the turnover battle by more than one, this game will probably be a loss for BYU, depending on where BYU gives it up. Otherwise, I just don't see UCLA putting up 24 on BYU in Provo, and I don't see BYU scoring under 24.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:38 PM   #5
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Do expect a RB fumble & two INTs? From a RB who's shown little tendency to fumble, and a QB who's thrown very few INT's since game 6 last year (Hall had 8 Interceptions through 6 games, and has thrown all of 5 in the 9 games since).

Sure, it could happen, but I'd be surprised.

If UCLA wins the turnover battle by more than one, this game will probably be a loss for BYU, depending on where BYU gives it up. Otherwise, I just don't see UCLA putting up 24 on BYU in Provo, and I don't see BYU scoring under 24.
You dont think Harvey has a tendency to fumble? You must not be watching the same games I have. 3 critical fumbles in his last 4 games.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:55 PM   #6
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
You dont think Harvey has a tendency to fumble? You must not be watching the same games I have. 3 critical fumbles in his last 4 games.
You're going to pin the LV Bowl fumble on Harvey?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:42 PM   #7
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
would be so much fun.

My thoughts:

You sell yourself short in football knowledge.

I agree with a lot of this.

As far as the run game I don't think that we will be able to run on UCLA early. They have arguably the best DT combination in the nation. Those 2 are good. They did show major signs of fatigue in the Tennessee game. I think that the altitude will play a factor with those 2. If not physically then mentally. Well at least I hope that it does.

BYU - 27
UCLA - 23
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:47 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post

I agree with a lot of this.

As far as the run game I don't think that we will be able to run on UCLA early. They have arguably the best DT combination in the nation. Those 2 are good. They did show major signs of fatigue in the Tennessee game. I think that the altitude will play a factor with those 2. If not physically then mentally. Well at least I hope that it does.

BYU - 27
UCLA - 23
It's hard to make any conclusions when you can only see half the play (on TV they only show the QB, OL and RBs.

Hard to know if WRs are getting open, or DBs are playing well, or LBs dropping into effective coverage.

I would rather watch the whole field.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:16 PM   #9
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Nope.

Harvey's fumbles last year:
Game, Fumbles, Lost
UNM, 1, 0
CSU, 1, 0
Utah, 1, 1
UCLA(b), 1, 1

That's in 288 touches, or 72 touches per fumble. 144 per lost fumble.

I think it's also significant that in his more recent fumbles, two of the three have happened when he's very fatigued.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:28 PM   #10
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
It's not just football. Mike is just naturally humble.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote