cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2007, 01:53 AM   #151
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taq Man View Post
Brigham said it was the Law of God not his own thoughts or "council". He said it was the Law of God and it would always be so.

Or is this law just like the law to not see R rated movies?

Your line of reasoning also suggests that if Joseph said gay sex was OK from the ages of 16 to 18, but nobody really took him up on it, and a prophet 75 years later changed it, then all is OK the church was never led astray because nobodies salvation was jeapordized? What about the teaching itself?

Again BY said it was the Law of God. Not popular opinion, or his personal bias. He also said that it would always be so.
And Brigham Young was wrong. You won't find anyone, except for maybe Grapevine who believe otherwise. Your point was, I think, that the prophet has indeed led the church astray. Woodruff's statement doesn't mean a prophet will never make an error. It means that a prophet's errors will never lead the church as a whole down a path away from Christ from which Christ will not pull us back.

That Joseph Smith example is just silly.

Last edited by SteelBlue; 05-04-2007 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Too mean re: Tex
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 01:54 AM   #152
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
And Brigham Young was wrong. You won't find anyone, except for maybe Tex and Grapevine who believe otherwise. Your point was, I think, that the prophet has indeed led the church astray. Woodruff's statement doesn't mean a prophet will never make an error. It means that a prophet's errors will never lead the church as a whole down a path away from Christ from which Christ will not pull us back.

Indy doesn't believe BY was wrong.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:05 AM   #153
Taq Man

Taq Man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
And Brigham Young was wrong. You won't find anyone, except for maybe Tex and Grapevine who believe otherwise. Your point was, I think, that the prophet has indeed led the church astray. Woodruff's statement doesn't mean a prophet will never make an error. It means that a prophet's errors will never lead the church as a whole down a path away from Christ from which Christ will not pull us back.

The Joseph Smith example was meant to be silly/outrageous. However, your reasoning that the church was not led astray because:

1. No blacks really suffered until the last 20 or so years

2. Nobody's salvation was jeapordized (you couldn't know this)

3. The church was not taught that blacks were inferior (I think ample evidence to the contrary has been presented)

This just doesn't hold up (as my stupid Joseph Smith example tried to demonstrate). The church was led astray because generations of Mormons lived and died believing a particualry un-Christlike doctrine. Who knows what bigotry was entertained because of this teaching. All of the Mormons who lived after Joseph and before Spencer were deceived and thus led astray.

Thank goodness you live now with the right concept of race.

But it begs the question if that one was wrong and left to fester for over a century what current teaching is next? The word of wisdom?

Last edited by Taq Man; 05-04-2007 at 02:10 AM.
Taq Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:06 AM   #154
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
Does the word celestial not imply God?

Which leads right into this paragraph....

Thus my question, why the change in God? Why was he ok with giving the priesthood to a black man, incorporating him into His church's leadership, only to take the privilege away for a black man to pass the sacrament twenty years later?
These are questions to which I don't have the answers, which I believe has been my point from the start?

Quote:
You won't find anyone, except for maybe Tex and Grapevine ...

You won't find anyone, except for maybe Grapevine ...
Do I detect some dissembling on SteelBlue's part? Thanks for editing, and not putting words in my mouth.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:10 AM   #155
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Do I detect some dissembling on SteelBlue's part? Thanks for editing, and not putting words in my mouth.
Yeah, that was too mean, I apologize.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:29 AM   #156
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
And Brigham Young was wrong. You won't find anyone, except for maybe Grapevine who believe otherwise. Your point was, I think, that the prophet has indeed led the church astray. Woodruff's statement doesn't mean a prophet will never make an error. It means that a prophet's errors will never lead the church as a whole down a path away from Christ from which Christ will not pull us back.

SteelBlue you are getting radical these days. Pretty soon you are going to start arguing that woman can be apostles (oops, nevermind there is one of those in the NT).
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:21 AM   #157
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Indy doesn't believe BY was wrong.
Link?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:30 AM   #158
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Link?
Read thread. You have defended Brigham Young positiing all sorts of support, never once positing BY was wrong in his decision.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:45 AM   #159
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Read thread. You have defended Brigham Young positiing all sorts of support, never once positing BY was wrong in his decision.
It is interesting to read a thread on a predominantly Mormon website where the position of defending Brigham Young is attacked.

Not to say he was or wasn't wrong ... just interesting to read.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 04:00 AM   #160
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Tex defends the status quo. It's his role in life.

His posts are more reliable than the sunrise.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote